Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement seats ????

I'm thinking about replacing the seats in my 80' and 81' brat's

What seats could I buy for this and where would I go and get them.

Also because I'm over 6' tall, leg room is a plus, so I'm looking for a good seat that is not going to restrict my legs in shifting and turnning of the sterring wheel,

Any suggestions?

Brad

there are many options at a local junk yard.just measure the maximum width, and look around.look for clean and comfortable ones.hyundai accent seats look like they would fit perfect.very comfortable and most of them have a drivers side center folding arm rest.i was also thinking of 01-05 impreza seats.good luck

Jon

I tried looking for new seats for my '78 (they're the same as yours). Anyway, I was told that the shape of the floor pan will cause havoc with the slides and brackets and you'll need to fabricate all new ones.

I got a nice set from moosens and had the yellow inserts added at the upholstery shop. You can see them in my gallery.

they would need to be adapted, but its usually pretty easy.i have done it a couple times without welding in other cars.just some drilling and fitting.you also may be able to unbolt the base from your original seats and adapt it to new ones.

I got a nice set from moosens and had the yellow inserts added at the upholstery shop. You can see them in my gallery.

Oooooooh I like those. and it really goes well with your brat.

What about those over the counter racing seats?? There a little pricey but would they work?

Oh and what is the process of removing the rails off my old brat seats and attaching them to a new (yard) seat? If you know? Anyone?

you also may be able to unbolt the base from your original seats and adapt it to new ones.

yep, the sliders will come right off. I just put a set of aftermarket seats in my 79. I just made an adapter "frame" to adapt the seat frame to the sliders. bolts righ up.

When I was picking my seats (huh huh) I realized that for a tall guy in a Brat reclining is sort of stupid. This saves you some big money as fixed seats are way cheaper. I chose Courbeau Forzas. They are a "racing" seat, fairly comfortable but not good for anything bigger than about 36 waist and even then, I don't like driving long distances in them. Then again, my Brat is not a long distance driver in any capacity.

garner

seahag, those seats are beautiful!!could i ask where you got your dash redone, and about how much they charged.i am interested in getting mine redone too.thanks jon

ps.hows progress on the 84?

The dash is original. I got it from moosens, he gave it up when he found his elusive blue dash. There is a guy in Revere, MA that does excellent work on dashes, I'll see if I can find his card for you... might be a bit pricey at $400. a new one is $600 without shipping.

The '86.. I have all the trim removed and am sanding back to metal to double check the body, redefining all the edges/corners that have rounded out because of the layers of old paint. etc., re-opening the molding holes. Keeps me busy while awaiting the new hood and driver's fender. She's as solid as a rock so far. AND IT RUNS GREAT! I'm very happy with this one. The bright red will be nice!

My little yellow one is flaking out again... soon as the weather warms she won't stay running... sub-zero temps she runs like a top.