Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are new struts still available?

I am looking for new struts for my 78 Brat. Are they even made any more? I am looking to replace the rear shocks too. Help me out please! I am trying to get my Brat good enough to take it down to Pismo Beach and try it out. Got some work to get it to that point but this along with a good drivers side CV axle would be a good start. Thanks.

If I were you, I would swap in EA81 struts for the front since they're a lot easier to come by and you can get the adjustable ones. Almost a direct bolt in but one of the brackets that holds it into the knuckle is different then the EA71. Also, you can use EA81 front axles in place of the EA71, just about 1/2" difference in length but can be used.

If I were you, I would swap in EA81 struts for the front since they're a lot easier to come by and you can get the adjustable ones. Almost a direct bolt in but one of the brackets that holds it into the knuckle is different then the EA71. Also, you can use EA81 front axles in place of the EA71, just about 1/2" difference in length but can be used.

How did you overcome the difference in brackets?

Is the ea81 axle the shorter of the two? I have two remans from Checker that are barely long enough to use.

How did you overcome the difference in brackets?

Is the ea81 axle the shorter of the two? I have two remans from Checker that are barely long enough to use.

Basically there's a clamp on the knuckle that "clamps" the strut into the knuckle and then there's another bracket on the strut that a bolt runs through and into the knuckle. If I remember correctly, I turned the EA81 strut into the same direction as the EA71, bent the bracket a little bit and it worked. Even if you don't use the bracket, I'm pretty sure the clamping force of the knuckle would be sufficiant enough for everyday street driving.

As for the axles, the EA81 axle is about 1/2" longer then the EA71...

Can you point me in the right direction as to where I might find the KYB struts. I did a little searching on the internet and came up with nothing. Thanks.

just try the local parts stores and if need be tell them to look through their books and also try the other brands too for a replacement strut

Basically there's a clamp on the knuckle that "clamps" the strut into the knuckle and then there's another bracket on the strut that a bolt runs through and into the knuckle. If I remember correctly, I turned the EA81 strut into the same direction as the EA71, bent the bracket a little bit and it worked. Even if you don't use the bracket, I'm pretty sure the clamping force of the knuckle would be sufficiant enough for everyday street driving.

As for the axles, the EA81 axle is about 1/2" longer then the EA71...

(a little off thread, but...) I have two axles on my '78,not long enough to even put the flat washer on after the cone washer. I haven't done anything about it yet as the '78 is off the road as of now. I figure the ends were buggered up, they trimmed the ends and chased the threads.

++++++++++++++++++++

i put fwd strut tubes on my 1980 4wd. they were koni adjustable from:

DCS consulting:

blnkspcr.gif1755 Mission Rd., 2nd Floorblnkspcr.gifSouth San Francisco, CA 94080+1220blnkspcr.gifUS blnkspcr.gifblnkspcr.gifMain Phone: (650) 756-3533blnkspcr.gifFax : (650) 756-5533blnkspcr.gifblnkspcr.gifWholesale distributor of Koni obsolete and discontinued Koni shock absorbers. Exporter to Australia. +++++++++++++++++++++++

they were old stock and 2 for $17.50 on ebay. they sold me a third for $5.

the first on i instlled clunked. so i had to take it apart and put a spacer between the inset and the bottom of the tube ( a 1" junk brass nut) now they're fine. a little too stiff at 1/2 setting.

these things arn't too mysterious. i'd try any Subaru stuff. stay awayfrom Monroe! hope ths is helpful.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

blnkspcr.gif