Ultimate Subaru Message Board

leg-a-CEE needs an L-S-D!

superu

So my superu is lame! The 95 legs (non turbo) didn't come with LSD.

(Yeah I know, tons of you coulda told me that ;)

So what would I need to do to put LSDs in it? Could I just switch out the rear pumpkin, and front diff. units? Do i need to do any computer crap? I assume the tranny does the center diff, so the power sent to each wheel comes drom the front or rear diffs, not the computer, right?

Would IMP outback diffs work? the junk yard's got a 2002 handy...

If i get outback diffs, would i need to do any gearing in the tranny?

thanks gang!

Imp OB don't have LSD's. I know this because I own one.:lol: but i bought one to put in someday. :brow:

Look at Legacy OB wagons....some of them do and some don't. Newer ones 2000-2004 have them standard I think but the older ones IIRC it was an option that was in a package with heated seats etc. Check upper level option package Foresters too. If you find a newer body forester than any one that is an XS or XT will have the LSD. The "x" model does not.

If you can find your diff ratio the if you are lucky enough to find an LSD with the same ratio it could be as simple as a straight swap. if you find one with a different ratio you need to swap out the gears in the rear diffs. You don't need to mess with the front diff at all. Smarter people than I can help you with that project.

Imp OB don't have LSD's. I know this because I own one.:lol: but i bought one to put in someday. :brow:

Look at Legacy OB wagons....some of them do and some don't. Newer ones 2000-2004 have them standard I think but the older ones IIRC it was an option that was in a package with heated seats etc. Check upper level option package Foresters too. If you find a newer body forester than any one that is an XS or XT will have the LSD. The "x" model does not.

If you can find your diff ratio the if you are lucky enough to find an LSD with the same ratio it could be as simple as a straight swap. if you find one with a different ratio you need to swap out the gears in the rear diffs. You don't need to mess with the front diff at all. Smarter people than I can help you with that project.

Cool, thanks for the start..

i think my gearing is 3.91

could I straight swap a 4.11 diff?

No. If you've got 3.9, you need another 3.9. I think some of the 91 Legacy turbos had 3.9 lsds. Otherwise you'll need to change the front, too, which takes a little more work. Mismatched front and rear diffs means the front and rear wheels will spin at different speeds.

• 2 weeks later...