Ultimate Subaru Message Board

saaaaaaaafety glasses

always wear them! I do. Almost always anyway.

I was sledgehammering the rear drums off of Skeet's car in the middle of the rear disc brake swap, and a section of the drum chipped off and bounced off of my forehead. Could have bounced into my eyes if conditions were different. Yes, I was wearing my SGs too. Got one pair, the "good" pair for most stuff, and the old beaten up pair in the toybox, i mean the toolbox, for an extra or the JY or whatever.

After I had a small piece of metal fall in my eye and scratch my cornea when working on my XT, I always wear goggles when getting my face close to the car.

Prescription eye drops for a week fixed me last time, but next time it might be a big piece of metal that costs me my eye. Be careful people!!

I know this shouldnt be said, it should be common... but ALWAYS wear them around power tools. Even something as small as a Dremel Tool.

one time I was cutting some metal with my dremel and a small cuttoff disk. At about 15,000 to 20,000rpm, and the disc broke. Pieces of cuttof disc went everywhere, and i could feel 2 pieces bounce off my safety glasses. Luckily I was wearing them. if not, i would have had 10,000rpm chunks of heavy duty cuttoff disc reaking havoc on my retna.

So yeah. Keep a spare, and get the GOOD kind.

-Brian

They have a little drill at the hospital, almost like a dremel, for removing cast iron, for example, out of the patient's eye. Not that I know anything about it.

I hit a chisel with a hammer once, a piece of it went so far into the joint of my index finger that you couldn't see it. It was fun letting the doctor dig that one out of the cartilage.

Also note perscription glasses are NOT safety glasses! I take mine for granted and SHOULD wear saftey glasses. I have talked to another guy and have experinced it myself... shrapnel can and WILL shoot right up from below, to the side or above perscription lenses. Especially using any rotary tool where things are spun at funny angles up at your head. Perscription lenses are usally plenty tough (mine can stop a .22 cal :D ) but they just do not fully cover your eyes to be considerd safety goggles.

Yes.... Always wear Safety Glases, and/or a face shield, 'specially when grinding, regardless of grinding tool/equipment used. In my many years in this proffesion, I have definetly had a piece or two of steel in my eyes. Not to mention the errant spray from a spraycan of whatever. True definition of Safety Glasses is, the lense itself will stop a 1" steel ball, dropped from 50'. The frames will withstand an impact, equivilant to a 3" Steel Ball dropped from 75'. And the Side Shields will be riveted to the frame of the glasses. May not be totally right on some of this, going from memory here. But part of my job, is dealing with both Federal, and State OSHA Regulations. I have to fab up work platforms, ladders, access points, what have you, everytime we get in a new piece of machinery. Any old piece, I have to bring it up to todays Standards, which can, and is, be "FUN". On another note. I have a 7"by 1/8th" piece of steel, embedded in my left thigh. It was flung by someone else using a 10" angle grinder. It hit the bone, and did a u-turn. Docs all say that it will bother me more to have them try to remove it, than it would to leave it in there. Been there for over 20 years now, getting smaller on X-rays, but it's still there. Real joy trying to fly anywhere, 'specially after 9-11. Always think of safety first, no matter what you're doing. I even put a jackstand under the vehicle, just changing a tire. Had a friend get his hand crushed doing just that, the jack collaspsed, pinning his hand under the truck. You just never know!!!!!!!!!!.............

oh, yeah, i almost forgot. brake cleaner in your eyes feels absolutely heavenly. try it sometime :D

on another note, while putting the skid plate back on the front of the Skeetmobile, i dropped one of the bolts right on my SGs, and also had a small chunk of grime somehow make it past them and land right next to my tear duct. Qtip time!!

Yeah, I've had the lovely experience with the little drill at the emergency room. I had a wire wheel on a bench grinder, and one of the wires came off and embedded it's self deep into the gooey part of my eye, took the doctors like an hour to drill it out, then I had to wear an eye patch with my eye taped shut for a week, it sucked!

gas is another nasty thing to get into your eyes. I was working on my 83 hatchback and it had that Carter weber carb in it. Well I replaced the accelerator pump in it and the hose that gose from it to the nozzle in the barrel. That $@%#$ hose popped off when I was testing it out and I had the top of the carb off. Needless to say it sprayed a lot of gasoline into my eyes and I had to run about 30 feet so I could rinse it out. Yeah.... no fun there, so now I wear my saftey glasses when I'm working with chemicals

i know all about that drill at the dr. angle grinder bits in my eye. didnt know it was metal in my eye until a few days later when i couldnt standit any longer.

tom, sorry about the over spray at Jim's! at least you get your daily iron requirements for the past 20 years!

basically, my point is:

dont let no havin' of safety goggles ruin your credit over no damn hospital bill!