Ultimate Subaru Message Board

yeah I wish my forester had a turbo-diesel and low-range. Maybe then I can climb some of those steep hills I always have to carefully back down after bogging down. I sure hope they build a turbo diesel so I can stop lusting after the new twin turbocharged V-10 diesel VW Toureg with 550 plus lb-ft of torque.

As stated on the other forum (NASIOC), a Subaru Rep gave a hint the Legacy STI will come in 2006/2007 with a 3.0 Turbo engine and 350 hp. The price will be in the near of $ 50.000.

Regarding the diesel engine for Subarus there are lot of discussion on german boards. There is no detailed and trust-worthy information if it will come or not. Obviously Subaru is thinking about the diesel dilemma since a long time. But still there is the problem to have the right volume to produce the diesel engines cost-effective. The other problem with diesels are the emmissions - particel filters (now strongly marketed by french car makers!) will definitely help - but increase the costs. Now 40 % of the new cars are diesel engines here in Germany - that would be an interesting business. But I guess it will be getting interesting for Subaru if the American market demands diesel engines more and more. The two biggest markets for Subaru are America and Japan - and in the past both market didn't demand diesels that much.

I personally don't like diesels - I always prefer gas engines - despite the advantages of better mileage and decreased costs. Don't forget the higher price of a diesel engine compared to a gas engine. And if you want to have very good diesel engine, you have to sell an arm and leg for it !

:D

And by the way, torque is very nice, but not everything. What would you think, if you could rev your Subie only to 4500 rpm??? :mad: But that's the way the diesel works. Don't understand me wrong, it's not slow at all. But it's not that funny.

So don't call too loud for the diesel - it's not the ultimate solution.