Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru powered boat?

There's plenty of soobs in boats. I have one rigged for hunting...

There is even a company in Houma La. that takes EA81 and EA82 engines, completely overhaul them and will add upgrades to make them USCG compliant marine engines, but you're looking at about $6,000 for one.

Here are some hunting boats with soobs... Putting one in a regular power boat is really not much different.. Of course the engine would be best to have a USCG approved equipment if it will be used in an enclosed engine compartment as well as a forced ventilation system to evacuate gas fumes..

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8086

I have a 13 foot jet boat under construction

AluminIum hull with full Skid plate ,

Hybrid ea81 with twin SU's sucking through a TD04 @ 8 pounds of boost,

MOO HA HA HA

single stage hamilton jet,

Brumby dash & shifter (fwd & reverse bucket controls),

Lots of grab handles

Cmon Summer!

(Way down south, as far south as you want to go anyway!)

OMG that boat looks scary, how fast does that thing go 90.:headbang:

There's plenty of soobs in boats. I have one rigged for hunting...

There is even a company in Houma La. that takes EA81 and EA82 engines, completely overhaul them and will add upgrades to make them USCG compliant marine engines, but you're looking at about $6,000 for one.

Here are some hunting boats with soobs... Putting one in a regular power boat is really not much different.. Of course the engine would be best to have a USCG approved equipment if it will be used in an enclosed engine compartment as well as a forced ventilation system to evacuate gas fumes..

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8086

Matty B & Mudboat: wow! I had no idea people were doing that kind of stuff with sube motors. I guess I had heard of vw powered airboats so its not a stretch to work in an ea81 or 82.

The plans I saw were for a small coastal crusing trawler; the total opposite end of the spectrum from these speed demons that you guys are posting. What kinds of speeds are you guys seeing?

Matt b: do you have any pics?

G'day Jack,

I am trying to get a very slow planing speed rather than a big top speed, the boat is designed for upriver assaults.

I have weighed all the bits and it all comes to just under the 400kg mark, with around 170hp pushing it.

No Photos until its finished!

G'day Jack,

I am trying to get a very slow planing speed rather than a big top speed, the boat is designed for upriver assaults.

I have weighed all the bits and it all comes to just under the 400kg mark, with around 170hp pushing it.

No Photos until its finished!

sounds awesome. Let me know how you do on that slow planning speed. I have two sailboats with planning hulls. I'd like to jump on a plane in less than 20 knts of wind.

Ps if you change your mind about the "no photos until she's done" rule, I promise not to show anyone else. :)

Guys, its a boat!

You tell me how to push dyno rollers with jet drive and I will try!!

Fuel + spark + air, they are the variables.

Twin 1 3/4" SU's - TDO4, Propane, EA82T Pistons, Copper head gaskets,

Full race grind cam,

Expected lifespan - between 50 and 100 hours.

I will accept bets.

• 2 weeks later...

The hunting boats in my pics top out between 40 - 50 mph with one person and no gear depending on the prop, but you'd better be in low to no chop at top end.

They are mainly designed to power a light weight hull through oatmeal-like mud and thick vegetation... A perfect boat for what we run through.. Light hull, light engine and plenty of power.. Keel-cooled closed loop cooling system. My engine temp runs 130 deg F in the summer and 115 in the winter...