Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What gear oil to use in VLSD from Turbo Legacy

It's been awhile since I looked at the decal on mine, but doesn't it tell you what type of oil to use. I used LSD oil in mine, it worked fine. They are correct, the unit itself is sealed, there is no contact between the viscous fluid in the unit and the oil in the case.

Setright, they are meaning the rear LSD, which has the same principle. Any LSD Subaru has ever produced, which is the rear LSD's in cars like the 91 turbo Legacy, the newer Legacy GT's and such, and also ALL AWD center diffs, are all VLSD's and the LSD part is a sealed unit apart from the regular oil.

If we are talking about rear Viscous LSD's (VLSD), like the 91 Tuurbo, it takes regular gear oil. The internal LSD parts are sealed, the oil will not get to it.

If we are talking about the older LSD's (non-viscous, not VLSD) like the ones in the older RX's, they take special LSD fluid.

Setright, they are meaning the rear LSD, which has the same principle. Any LSD Subaru has ever produced, which is the rear LSD's in cars like the 91 turbo Legacy, the newer Legacy GT's and such, and also ALL AWD center diffs, are all VLSD's and the LSD part is a sealed unit apart from the regular oil.

Not true, the pre 1990 LSD's were clutch type.