Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carburetor Education

It has been deemed that my '78 Brat needs a new carburetor. What exactly does it come with and what old stuff is needed? The automatic choke? Could it messed up too?

The symptoms are: it idles weird, runs prefect when it's cold, as it warms, it races and then almost stalls and then races. It won't idle at all when it's warm? It's making me crazy... I can drive for 15 minutes max then that's it... the heel to toe, brake and feather the gas, so I have ruled out the gas pump and filters.

Oh, it's a Hitachi as far as I can tell.

I tried to sell some of the rebuild kits I have but I think only one was taken.They're now in a box,somewhere.

It's a DCJ306-8(last digit designates low altitude)

THe float can be had too.I just got one off of eBay for piddly.

There's not much to them.Choke,anti deisel switch,servos,not much else that you'd remove.The rest is jets,adj. screws,air bleed valves,hardware,etc.

128Subaru_carb_1978_DCJ306-med.jpg

That's your baby.

I tried to sell some of the rebuild kits I have but I think only one was taken.They're now in a box,somewhere.

It's a DCJ306-8(last digit designates low altitude)

THe float can be had too.I just got one off of eBay for piddly.

There's not much to them.Choke,anti deisel switch,servos,not much else that you'd remove.The rest is jets,adj. screws,air bleed valves,hardware,etc.

128Subaru_carb_1978_DCJ306-med.jpg

That's your baby.

YIIIIKES! I don't even cook anything with a recipe with over 7 ingredients!

Seriously, the external stuff is also a problem... the idle screw is all wiggly, the choke seems to be iffy. I'm at a loss here. BTW, WD40 and Seafoam doesn't cure all. I just want to DRIVE it.

We gotta git you a rebuild kit....and a place to send it out to.;)

Used to be a place in Hamden,CT "Mr.Carburetor".Was indeed very reputable.

Maybe Jesse would do it.He's going to need one eventually too,same carb.,same year.

So....the next batch of rebuild kits that shows up,let's all be sure to get one.I think I have at least two unopened and one that was plundered,as I recall.

I personally will be running three of these or maybe four (carbs) as I own two dual carb setups.So let's keep our eyes open for these.

I asked Jesse... he's not comfortable with carbs... I tried bribing him with actual cash money. No dice.

In reality, I can get this one rebuilt for the cost of Luncheon Special at the local Chinese restaurant, but I think it's just a wee bit more involved than just the carb.

MIIIIIIIIILESFOOOOOX! Where you be? Let's get this NE fix-it trip together! Time's a'wastin'!

Mary, me and carby tooters are one.

I have been rebuilding then since water was invented.

I will gladly do yours for free if you git da kit.

Better would be to score another unit off of Todd possibly

Maybe Caboo?

send it to me and

then when you get the rebuilt model

the swap will be an on/off with no missing or corn-fused ingredients.

BUT - I have a strange feeling your EGR may be the cause

of this malidy.

I can show you a picture of where it is and how to test it if

you like.

I'm sorry if I do not agree with the person that deamed

your tooter junk. Contrary to public belief these are very simple tooters and unless the throttle shafts are worn badly I doubt the problem is all carby.

Have you by chance tyried a can of Seafoam in a nearly empty gas tank yet?

We tried the Seafoam and cleaned the EGR valve. That picture and test would be great Skip. Seems a process of elimination at this point.

One big problem, the screw that's behind the 3 hoses is really loose and wiggly, it probably moves out of adjustment.

Theres always RooBuilders. www.ccrengines.com/roobuilders

But if Skip will do it free thats an offer I wouldnt refuse.

The Carter-Weber kit I bought years ago at the dealer for my 84 GL wagon was nearly $100 and I paid a friend to rebuild it almost $50, which is over half of what Kerry gets and then its professionally done. Im with you on the recipe logic, when it comes to Carbs if its more than a 1 cyl engine carbie I wont touch it. Ill rebuild an engine or trans but the carbs...I just dont like all the little pieces. Someday though, when fuel injection isn't an option for me on a project. :)

My friend was an auto tech student in his 1st term so it probably wasnt quite as good as one Skip would do by any means. My vote is for Skip on this but if you didnt have Skip's help Roobuilders prices are a great deal.

I agree...it's most-likely not a serious issue with your carb. (Unless the shafts or choke assem are worn.) If it runs well cold, with the rich mixture, but not warm, with a leaner mixture, you have a clogged jet maybe, or an air leak that's leaning the mix to much when warm. (Run on sentence!) But rebuilding would eliminate that variable, improve performance and smooth. These carbs are really quite simple, so don't let people snow you into a big price tag for rebuild!!

Also check and replace ALL the vac tubes. Often they look fine , but they are dried and leaking. I always notice a difference when I have changed these out. Check all vac devises for leaks. Check manifold gaskets and carb mounting bolts too. Is the EGR gasket leaking?

Todd

I'm in a total mess. This whole system's been cobbled.

I have 2 air cleaner cans (the round turquoise blue). On one air cleaner, there's a valve inside that's all rusted and looks like it should move but doesn't and there's 2 brass prongs sticking out the bottom that look like something should be plugged into it. On the other, there's a different looking plastic valve that says Nissan on it but it's broken, it has the two brass prongs too.

There are some hoses that go into the cleaner. But there's a huge elbow that looks like a hose or something's supposed to attach to it?

There's a skinny hose that hooks to the air cleaner, when you pull it off and plug it, the car idles better.

In front of the carb there's a red wire with a a "U" connector that's just hanging there. The wire is hot, I can't find any place it attaches to.

I see some springs that aren't attached to anything that looks like it was made to hook a spring into... they're just hung on whatever will give them tension... like a lip on the frame of something, or a bracket... they aren't hooked to anything that will cause a reaction to some other part.

Now, the clear filter (it has accordion pleated cardboard in it) that sits on the left in front of the firewall... should that always be full of gas? I only see trickles in it.

Lastly, a rebuild kit won't solve the jiggly idle adjustment screw... it's so worn, that it's barely hanging in there... the mixture screw on the left is pretty iffy too.. wobbles all around.

Roobuilders has come highly recommended here. I spoke to my local parts guy this morning while picking up some shocks for the '86, and he told me that Tomco and United(?) have the odds of getting a good rebuild is only 1 in 5. I knew it was high but yikes!

I have come to the conclusion that this is way over my head and have called "Uncle!". She's parked and all covered up until I can find someone to physically look at it... you can't beat a dead horse.

you should take picks of everything... i recognize most of the stuff that you were talking about(i think) and i can easily take pics of mine so you can compare...

but then again mine isn't running to hot either... same kinda problems...:rolleyes: