Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat bobbing any one

mtnman38

OK so I would like to bob my brat I have an I dea of how but I just thought I would touch base with you all and see if there is a preferred way(aka easier) that what I have in my mind so if any one out there has some insight I would be most gratefull Post or PM thanks LT

Everyone has their own way, no right or wrong way.

How I did mine:

I cut straight down and then across the bed as far back as I could, but still retain the lights and the area where the tailgate bolts to.

Then with the naked rear of the brat I cut like 7-9 inches out. I forget how much out. Basically right up to where there is some stupid plastic thing in the passenger rear fender. I just missed it. Didnt want to relocate it or mess with it, so I just cut right behind it.

Then I matched the 2 parts back together and started welding from the top.

The body lines do NOT match up. Some filler and banging is necessary to make it look right.

Option B.

Screw the tailgate and cut off the taillight assembly, cut over a foot off the car and then weld the light assy back on.

I bobbed 7-9 inches (I forget which), Zapar bobbed 12 inches (no gate). AdamNDJ bobbed like 15 I think (and retained his tailgate) :confused:

So there are tons of ways to do it.

I don't know where to ind my pics of the cutting welding part, but here's the rough finish after 12 inches of Bob. A little bondo and love pretty'd it right up.

142bob1.jpg

Here's after paint and a bumper and rollbar. I added truck mud flaps in the rear too.

142bob2.jpg

• 11 months later...

The only thing I have ever seen with an add-on axle was a Ranger in Augusta, Maine, and some Dodge in a magazine.

I remember the Ranger had custom badges on the sides that said "Long Ranger"......

I've thought of doing that, but it doesn't help offroad, hurts turning radius, and powering the rear axle is a pain. If you don't power it, you loose traction on the middle axle.

You usually don't see anything bobbed around here that isn't a Toyota. I thought about doing that with my 72 F-100, but I want it to be an all-around truck, not just a weekend trail warrior. That's what the hatch is rapidly turning into-

• 2 weeks later...

4x4 welder what?? I dont know about all you ford guys going to subarus

seems that you got your purple ovals mixed

Yea well that brat has turned into three two lifted one all stock

two still look like stock body brats. The other well youll just have to wait and see

I hope to have it complete in the next month when I do ill post pics

You still have that disty connection

Who is this 4x4 welder dude ;)

Hey LT, you still messin with that Brat? You going to run it this summer?

Ya, Steve still curves distys. $50 I believe it was. Which style disty you got?

Yes, us Ford people just can't seem to get it right with these Subarus so we rely on real 4x4. Here is my almost done trail rig. We will have to hook up soon.

post-2470-136027607968_thumb.jpg

post-2470-136027607976_thumb.jpg