Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm still looking over the '96 Impreza Outback w/ 208km on her... and I realized one thing that I hadn't checked out or noticed was the functionality of the AWD system. I'm not familiar with AWD, just the pushbutton 4wd that was in my old Loyale. It's fairly reasonable to check the basics on the body, underbody, exhaust, engine, tranny, to make sure nothing's making any odd noises or not working.

When it comes to the AWD, I've got no clue :drunk:. Is there any way to check it? I can see someone running it with the spare on it, toasting the VC, and the dealer just slapping a new set of tires on it to cover it up. I didn't see any sort of idiot light regarding the AWD operation... so there's got to be some way to test it manually, short of goin' muddin'.

On the other hand, I could just take it out for another test drive, and find the local mud pit... :grin:

P.S.: Props to the recent Tires & Xmission post to remind me about this...

Oh this is one of favorite Subaru tests. Is the AWD working? Easy to find out if you got some time. Put it up a lift or on jack stands with all the tires off the ground of course. After it's off the ground, step on the brake, turn it on, put into gear and release the brake. Just let it idle. No gas. If rear tires spin the AWD is working. Step on the brake slowly and smoothly before turning it off. If the ABS light comes on it will clear after it's driven with all the wheels on the ground.

the above test will work, but will not check if the resistance is still in check. i know of no way to check that part though.

mud pit sounds like the best answer (as long as you have one lsd you should be fine)

i know mine works cause i can get the rear tires to spin on a turn. he he

Joe:brow:

Just nail the gas at any light. When I had the FWD fuse in my 91 Legacy, it would spin the front tires for at least 5 to 10 feet on dry pavement and all the way through 1st gear in the wet. In all wheel drive it won't spin them at all, even in the rain.