Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TIMING BELTS

Guest NORFOLKCORNROWS

Guest NORFOLKCORNROWS

can anyone in very good detail tell me how to find my timing belt, because im clueless, and what are signs of needing a new starter

Guest calebz

when stanig in front of the car, there are two large plastic covers visible on the front of the engine, behind the accessory belts(alt, ps and stuff) under those plastic covers are the timing belts.

Guest Struculeus

Hi,

I was following your other post, about your car just cutting out. It says that you tried to turn it over, but to no avail. And when you ask about needing a new starter or not, I'm led to believe that the starter / engine won't even turn. Am I wrong?

If that's the case, all this talk about the timing belts is for naught.

The car just cutting out like that is symptomatic of a couple of things -

1. The fusable link, which it sounds like you already checked.

2. There's also a fuse for ENG in the fuse panel. I think it's a blue 15 amp fuse. Check that one.

3. Your alternator went out, and drained your battery, that's why it stopped. You can't turn it over because it's dead. Have you tried jumping it, or charging your battery?

If the car is turning over, than you can disregard the above. If it isn't, I hope this gives you some helpful leads. Let me know how it turns out!

J

Guest moosens

""""OK HERES THE 411, RECENTLY I WAS DRIVING MY 86 GL NA, AND IT JUST CUT OFF I TRIED TO START IT BACK UP BUT NO LUCK......SO I PUSHED IT HOME AND POPPED THE HOOD....I DIDNT SEE ANYTHING WRONG, BUT IT WAS ABOUT TIME FOR A TUNE UP...SO I BOUGHT NEW PLUGS AND CHANGED THE OIL BUT IT STILL WONT TURN OVER...NEXT MY DAD TOLD ME THAT IT WAS MY IGNITION COIL, SO I BOUGHT A NEW ONE... AND NO LUCK, NOW IM TO THE POINT I HAVE NO IDEA WHATS WRONG WITH MY CAR.....CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT THERE"""

My guess is if it happened while driving it was the timing belts.

Dude,read my reply in your other post.And the others too.Just look at the front of your motor for the plastic covers and then locate the rubber covers I told you about.Not a bad idea to lift the distributor cap but at this point I don't want to confuse you more.Good luck which ever way you chose.

Guest NORFOLKCORNROWS

<strong>ok everyone the only thing i havent checked was the timing belts(i was saving the best for last) i tried to pop the clutch, i got the battery charged, i changed the fuses under the hood, i checked all the fuses inside the car, and it still does the exact same thing......it sounds like it wants to turn over but its just not catching fire, my father told me he could smell that it was getting gas, and the carb spray didnt work either, i changed the plugs, did an oil change and i also switched out the ignition coil....does that only leave the timing belts?</strong>

Guest moosens

Would you rather go on spending money or listen to the guys who've been down this road before?Check the belts.Pop the distributor cap and see if the rotor turns when trying to start it.

Guest edrach

If the engine is turning over but not catching it could be a timing belt. Two ways to easily check. Crank over the engine for about 30 seconds and look for oil pressure on the guage--no oil pressure indicates a possible bad belt since the oil pump in run by one of the belts. The other check is to take off the distributor cap and crank over the engine for a few seconds--if the distributer doesn't turn at the same time, the timing belt is broken (you guessed it, it runs off the timing belt also). Lastly, if it looks like the timing belts are okay check for spark--no spark indicates a possible ignition module (it's inside the distributor). Depending on which distributor you have (Hitachi or Nippondenso) will determine which module you need to install. I've done a few Hitachi types and they're quite easy (try not to buy it at the dealer--it's around $250; after market runs about $100 to $150). Your best bet is to get one from a wrecking yard. Our local Pull a Part yards charge $20 for the complete distributor and you can easily pull the ignition module out of it. If you have a Hitachi type, they use the same module from '81 to '86 for all the non-aspirated engines. If you need a tested Hitachi module, I can send you one for the $20 plus shipping. Good luck.