Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More rust...

I just spent a grand on a new left rocker panel and refinish on the wheel arch of the quater panel for my '84 Wagon. And looking under my left wheel well, I just found a pretty good size hole into my cargo compartment, in the area of the shock mount. I'm going to go get an estimate on getting it fixed this afternoon. I'm just spouting a little.

Atleast yours is repairable :)

Ive been sweeping up rust by the pound, literaly, in the proccess of installing the lift and 4WD. Every few nights I sweep up atleast 1lb of rust and dirt that falls off from using air tools or the BFH.

So it could be worse :-)

Doc:

You might want to try your hand at rust contol/body work if you plan on sticking with the older Subes for awhile.

Good quality body work is time consuming, and that's why it's so expensive to have it done professionally. You could do a decent job yourself if you are willing to put some time and effort into it.

It might be more realistic to attempt to "control" the rust, without doing a full-fledged repair. I'm talking about grinding down rust, and using converter and spot paint or undercoating. This will do almost as much good as a true repair in terms of life to your car, and is fast and cheap.

Downside: it wont look nearly as nice as a quality repair.

If you decide to go either of these routes, you can get plenty of pointers from people on this Board.

good luck, John

yaeh, if you spend any time or money on rust, go all uout. at least you know it will last out west there.

it wouldnt be worth putting a lot of money into rust repair on a midwest car, as it will rust out again. unless you never take the car outside! anything rusty we might as well accept it

one place to consider is where the front fenders atatch behind the wheel. dirt and leaves will accumulate there holding moisture and rust out the bottom of the fenders. rust is expected there on any soob found around these parts

Originally posted by Dr.Outback

I just spent a grand on a new left rocker panel and refinish on the wheel arch of the quater panel for my '84 Wagon. And looking under my left wheel well ....

*Ouch ! *

I just spent $75 on more paint and was wondering if I spent too much !

I've got more time than money right now, so it's not like I have much choice.

:-p

John Wilke

milwaukee

rust is nothing to worry about until you go to sand it off and a big cunk of whatever was the panel falls through! surface rust is child's play.

did you replace the rocker panel because it was surface rust, or just not there to begin with!?!@?!?!?!?!

Well I went the do it yourself route when I got the car. There's this paint I got that is absoulutly awesome. In fact I should've mentioned it before. It is made by a company called Wurth and the name of the paint is SaBesto Rust Stop Black it comes in black and gray. This stuff bonds with the steel and really does stop it. All the rust I had fixed didn't come back until I had it replaced by the student body shop at school. As soon as they took the Rust Stop off and painted the panels, they started to rust again because they didn't do a good job priming the panels. I only had it professionally fixed because I'm sick and tired of wasting my time on it and I want to keep the car for as long as possible.

Remember to look for Wurth SaBesto Rust Stop Black or Gray. It's about $27 a pint and you will need to use gloves and disposable brushes.

• 3 years later...
One other note on rust prevention. If you look at my subaru's rear quater panels you will instantly realize why everyone runs mudflaps! If you dont have some, get some :)

I second the flaps, BUT, ive found that the standard flaps which sorta wrap round the joinging metal part at the bottom of panals traps all the crap in there, and still rusts it, not as much without them, so i did the next best thing, put some rally flaps on mine! they look awesome! mine are about 2 1/2" off the ground lol, and you aint gotta worry about that little trapping bit, and im not a favourite of the standard flaps, and when offroading, the rally flaps flex waaaaay more, so you aint gotta worry bout them.

Well I went the do it yourself route when I got the car. There's this paint I got that is absoulutly awesome. In fact I should've mentioned it before. It is made by a company called Wurth and the name of the paint is SaBesto Rust Stop Black it comes in black and gray. This stuff bonds with the steel and really does stop it.

Remember to look for Wurth SaBesto Rust Stop Black or Gray. It's about $27 a pint and you will need to use gloves and disposable brushes.

Hear, hear!!! EXCELLENT stuff, my uncle has three antique boat trailers (yes, when you have a sixty year old motor on a sixty year old boat, the package IS worth much more if its all on a sixty year old trailer, too)

We live in south florida.. boat trailer? salt water. RUST!

Whenever my uncle has had to repair his antique trailers, they get a coat or two of wurth underneath the blue paint that the treailer is supposed to be colored with. no more rust! not even after repeated dunkings in salt water! and these trailers have been sitting now for about eight years since their last dip, about ten since the paint job. the datsuns parked all around them are literally rotting by the pound, but the trailers have less oxidation than the aluminum boats that sit on them.

yeah, i've got a bit of rust on mine too. my scissor jack pushed through when i was changing my pass side rear tire once. just forces one to get a bit more creative with jack points, especially if you need to get under the thing (which i try to avoid at all costs.)

al