Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Before and after shots - front-end bodywork on RX

Okay, here are the promised before-and-after shots of the bodywork I had to do to the RX... with the amount of bodywork it needs, I can't believe I even bought the dang car, but it certainly wasn't for the "pretty" factor.

Before (headlights unadjustable at this point due to bumper pressure):

10671RXbumper-before01.jpeg

After (replaced bumper, metal body piece below bumper, managed to get at least 2/3 of the bolts in place with the new parts!)

10671RXbumper-after.jpeg

The car behind is a GL of the same color - the RX rides a lot taller!

Next step is to make both bumpers match - flat black spray paint should do the trick.

Yeah, I have yet to acquire a real bodywork kit, so there are a lot of little dings to fix (and maybe pulling dents in fenders).

Getting the metal plate under the bumper replaced was harder than I thought it'd be, because the fenders and unibody (near radiator), which it bolts onto in a dozen places, are all a tiny bit off, apparently due to the front impact that messed up the bumper. Ditto for pulling and replacing the bumper - the bolts REALLY didn't want to come out, it took a couple hours to pull. :drunk:

Thanks for the paint advice, Caboobaroo! My back bumper is so faded it looks like marbling. :rolleyes:

Sweet82: The GL isn't mine, it was just there on the street where I was parked. hehe. there are *lots* of old Subarus in Eugene. And yeah, if it was mine... I'd be tempted to put the same plates on both cars though it's strictly illegal, not to be done, yadda yadda :lol:

Trogdor: I can only imagine what insane abuse this car received at the hands of its previous owners, given that it had cracked heads and a single row radiator when I got it (apparently somebody made a terrible choice when replacing the OEM radiator). Twin row now.

I bet they caught a lot of air, yeah. I know I've (ab)used the suspension since I've got it... not on jumps, but an access road I couldn't resist the other day turned into a hillside when one rut of the road rose up a couple of feet ... I just kept on going, my buddy asked me if the car was gonna roll and he was only half joking :drunk: *must remember to go slow off pavement*