Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NV To WCSS Caravan Thread...

Yeah, I was thinking of getting one of those 2 or 3 bedroom suites at someplace like a Residence Inn..free breakfst. Possibly lower cost if we split, nicer hotel is bonus:) .

Or that!!! Sounds nice. Should be the night of the 14th thursday... right???

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JB: yeah, Thursday night.

I figure there'll be plenty of opportunity to tent camp and sleep in our cars at the show. Might as well be comfy the night before, and have a decent breakfast thrown in too:) .

JB: yeah, Thursday night.

I figure there'll be plenty of opportunity to tent camp and sleep in our cars at the show. Might as well be comfy the night before, and have a decent breakfast thrown in too:) .

All right, seems like we're getting something together, brian and I will most likely be heading up together out of sacramento, I have to pick up a camper. (don't remember if I said that already:) ) and we'll head up wednesday night maybe I want to check out portland I guess for a little while

Brian

Haven't figured out the drive time yet, but if I'm shooting for Portland, the route will change slightly. (checking map) Maybe I'll go via Bend/US20/OR22 to Salem then I5 to PDX..should be about..10 hours(?). If I leave the Ranch about 6, that ought to put me in Portland about 4..just in time for commute hour. Maybe there's a bypass to Vancouver. PDX guys, is the 205 worth it, or just another traffic jam like I-5?

We've got telephones, so keeping in touch ought not be a problem.

yeah I was able to hit portland at about 3pm when I left Reno at 6a if I remember right. Of couse that was in a 2.5 rs, so add another hour for the gutless ea81s. 205 has its share of traffic, but its the fastest way to get to Vancouver none the less. We are going to hit some traffic no matter what we do.

OH! Can I get all your guys Cell phone numbers again. I ran over my phone a few weeks ago and I lost all my numbers. Just pm me.

I've been that route too, not bad, but could be much hotter then the other route you stated earlier, after you get through Madris (sp??) you start heading back up into the mountains. This route drops up into the east side of Portland. I'm not sure of the traffic on I205, but if you start from Vancouver in the morning, it should be lighter the further north you get.

Brian

Haven't figured out the drive time yet, but if I'm shooting for Portland, the route will change slightly. (checking map) Maybe I'll go via Bend/US20/OR22 to Salem then I5 to PDX..should be about..10 hours(?). If I leave the Ranch about 6, that ought to put me in Portland about 4..just in time for commute hour. Maybe there's a bypass to Vancouver. PDX guys, is the 205 worth it, or just another traffic jam like I-5?

We've got telephones, so keeping in touch ought not be a problem.

Corky, I remember last year travelling through Madras and the Indian res nearby..very hot and uncomfortable. The route I was thinking of for this year was US20 west from Bend, then OR22 north and west to Salem. Looks like a more high-elevation forested (read:cooler) route.

Any wisdom concerning that way?

(BTW Thanks for the info so far)

Corky, I remember last year travelling through Madras and the Indian res nearby..very hot and uncomfortable. The route I was thinking of for this year was US20 west from Bend, then OR22 north and west to Salem. Looks like a more high-elevation forested (read:cooler) route.

Any wisdom concerning that way?

(BTW Thanks for the info so far)

OK, that takes you through Sisters and past Black Butte, nice drive. This is probably the route that I have driven the most (since I have a sister who lives in Sitsers), don't know why I didn't recognise thw road numbers.

Corky, is that route (how can I put this) "the long way"? I pretty much stick to the speed limit+7~10 MPH, so I figure the mountain roads are just as fast as the freeway, especially in Oregon:rolleyes: .

Hey guys, if you are planning to go from Klamath Falls to Portland, the fastest way is to go North on 97 then West on 58 over to Eugene. I went college in KFalls and my parents live in the Portland area, so I made that trip several times. The other two routes take about another hour of driving.

If you guys don't mind taking some extra time, then I would recromend going North on 97 then go NW on 62 and around Crater Lake then West on 138 to Roseburg.

Corky, is that route (how can I put this) "the long way"? I pretty much stick to the speed limit+7~10 MPH, so I figure the mountain roads are just as fast as the freeway, especially in Oregon:rolleyes: .
My biggest b i t c h about the route is that there never seems to be enough places to pass, and when one does come along, there is always traffic coming the other direction. It usually moves right along, but I just can't stand being behind someone (I guess it is that competative nature of mine). It's really pretty in the summer time, and just as pretty went there is snow on the ground. But with the snow comes the little old ladies with the loose tire chains, going 5 mph, and no where to pass safely. You drive past Detroit Lake, which used to be really nice, but someone felt that there was too much water behind the dam and darn near drained it, it has never really recovered. It was once a great recreational lake, now it is too low to get you boat into. Anyway, it should be cooler that going up through Redmond and Madras.

OK, now that many of the possible routes have been discussed, how about a timetable?

Meet in Eugene? Salem? Vancouver?

Vancouver sounds good. Gets us past the morning traffic. I'm thinking about rolling into town around 3-4pm? Scott is unable to make it this year, so dave I will be leaving from Cold Springs at about 5 or 6am.

Jeremy

Too bad Scott and Shawn aren't coming, they're good guys.

I'll shoot for meeting you at your place, it'll probably take me an hour or so to get there from the Ranch. I can call you from the road with a better ETA, but the times you quoted sound good to me.

I can probably get us a decent hotel suite in Vancouver, just need to know how big a "party" we are.

JB, Brian..are you in on this?

Scott just got a management job at Barnes and Noble in Chico, so he's tied up making the big bucks. :lol: He hopes to buy a new Subaru soon though. And Shawn is hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) this year. I think he's on mile 600 or something now. He thinks he will be in that area during WCSS so I might go pick him up and drive him home.

Dave im down to sleep in a bed, in a heated room :) Ask Jibs if he's going to be interested... i know he'll have one extra with him.

Vancouver sounds like a good idea. Me and jibs will already be up in portland when you guys roll through... so keep the cell #'s handy, or check for us on the CB.

-Brian

OK, this looks like the route/schedule coming from Washoe County so far:

Thursday-meet at Subieman's at 5 or 6 (TBD later). 395 north, 36 to Susanville. 139 (turns into 39) north to K-Falls..97 north to 58, catch I-5 at Eugene..north to Vancouver, hopefully arrive before dark. Overnight there (meet up with TSJ and Jibs?). Maybe we can set up a meeting with some of the local members for some pizza.

Friday morning continue north to show, meeting/adding to the caravan along the way.

We can exchange phone #s in the PM

Of course, comments and suggestions are encouraged:) .