Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best window crank removal tool?

I need to take the front door panels off of the Skeetmobile. I have broken a few window cranks at the JY because it's just the junkyard :P but I'd like Skeet's to stay on. Is there a better tool for this that I can choose? money is no object as it will stay with the car when Skeet picks it up :D

Good set of eyes, patience, and a small pick or similar tool.

Lay the side of your head up against the doorpanel and look behind the end of the crank up into the gap in the crank where you might be able to see the shiny clip. You are seeing the two tips of the clip when you look up in there usually and what you need to do is take the pick and push it against one side, on the end of the tip of one side of the clip and force it up and away. Then pull the crank off the end of the gear and catch the clip.

Part out a few cars and you get good at it.

If, as miles says, the GM tool will work, they are only $2-3 at the parts store.. its nice that everyone has their own special way, but there isn't much of an excuse for not using the right tool if its readily available and cheap. I have one.. I have also done it with needle nosed pliers and all sorts of other ways.. the right tool makes it much easier.

The easiest way I have found is with a small pick tool also. I use the round one. Slip it between the handle and the panel. Hook the clip and pull it out. As far as installing the clip. That's done with the handle in my hand. They just clip back on and then they just pop back on the regulator.

I've removed many - with a long flat blade screwdriver - just pull a little on the handle to get it in there, and hook the clip with the corner of the screwdriver - always worked fine for me, and I've never spent more than 2 minutes doing it. Never damaged anything either. And Qman is right on installation - just put the clip back on the handle, and you will notice that the splined shaft is beveled on the tip - just shove the handle on, and the clip will snap into place. Special tools are nice - but I get by with what I have generally. I think I will buy that axle pin punch tho - I have used a proper sized drill bit in the past, but last time I tried that on a badly stuck pin, the bit 'sploded in my face when I got on it with my BFH - got some hardened steel shrapnel in my forearm - was nice... :rolleyes:

GD

I'm going to buy a tool or something. Hemostat didn't work for me, too annoying to have to unlock it every time i missed. too dark in the garage (nice to borrow that since it rained and the brakes tood forever). no, i wasn't distracted by other uses for a hemostat either :P

thanks..