Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BYB skid plate?

A DOG

I don't know but...

That would make sence because the skid plate is attached to the crossmember and the body too.

So...if you lift the body in relation to the crossmember...

You would need the put a spacer between the body and the front of the skid plate to make it match like it did before the lift.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Once you have the lift done, and know where everything is going to be, then you can custom fab something.

I'm using a custom bent sheet of 1/8 steel mounted to the frame in front and to the old skid plate mounts in back.

I don't think it will support the entire weight of the car on top of a rock but it will let me know that I need to backoff!

I look at my skid plate as more of a "curb pealer". If I hear it, I'm getting in to a problem area and need to re-assess my approach. :confused:

Good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--1/8 steel skid plate :cool:

01 Forester--plastic skid plate :lol:

It facilitates plate removal as well! :rolleyes: I can't see any other way to do it with the stock skid though.

I can...

A) Make a new skid plate

B) put the spacer where the skid plate attaches to the crossmember support instead of up front where it can get hung up and obviously ripped off. now it might get hung up when you go in reverse however.

C) don't use any spacer at all and simply bolt it up where it should be up front and forget the rear bolts. it stays on tight, it wont rip off, and it doesnt get hung up on stuff. the back of the skid palt will sit flush to the crossmember support it used to bolt too. if one was so inclined the could drill two new holes in the crossmember support plate and bolt the skid plate on. I havent had a problem with out the two bolts back there yet however.

note: this is in reference to the EA82 not the EA81 which has a different skid plate setup.

after seeing that oil pump ripped of. i realy like the idea of putting a spacer in the rear of the skid plate, not the front...

I redrilled the spacer and stuck it back on with 3 14mm thread bolts and big ol' washers; it's definetly stronger now than it was. Neccessity is the mother of invention, as the original mounting point/capitve nuts no longer exist. :drunk:

Her's my plan though, since EA82s have the swaybar in front of the control arms.... I removed the sway bar long ago, and it left two solid mounts on the cross member... I'm going to build a chin guard off those mounts that should be able to cover the y-pipe. I might even be able to incorparate a bushing in there to suck up future impacts.

Any EA82 abusers try that yet?

after seeing that oil pump ripped of. i realy like the idea of putting a spacer in the rear of the skid plate, not the front...

actually, if you were to attach the skidplate on the front as normal, you would need to just re-drill some holes in the plate it attaches to. the new holes will be more forward from their original position...

but by doing that, the skid plate will now be very close to the oil pump, if not hitting it or the filter. in the pic posted with the twisted skid plate, the pump is still intact.

that pic looked like ramming speed was involved :) if the skid plate had been on without a front spacer, I think there would have been oil pump/possibly engine damage from an impact like that...

if your gonna be rammin', better off with a full skid plate :)

that pic looked like ramming speed was involved :)

It was like 2nd lo, I swear! Seriously, I just caught it at the "perfect" angle. It's not like I was going fast enough to spill my beer or anything. :drunk:

Definetly took out the pump though, snapped the pressure sender off and took a piece of the pump housing with it. Also cracked a T belt cover, bent the pitch stopper, dented the pan, and totally polluted the trail. :-\

Anywho, I tried to set mine up without the spacer when I fixed it, and the plate was touching the pressure sender and oil pan. That's no good, it's not doing jack then. Even with the spacer there's only like 1/2" of clearance in there.

I redrilled the spacer and stuck it back on with 3 14mm thread bolts and big ol' washers; it's definetly stronger now than it was. Neccessity is the mother of invention, as the original mounting point/capitve nuts no longer exist. :drunk:

Her's my plan though, since EA82s have the swaybar in front of the control arms.... I removed the sway bar long ago, and it left two solid mounts on the cross member... I'm going to build a chin guard off those mounts that should be able to cover the y-pipe. I might even be able to incorparate a bushing in there to suck up future impacts.

Any EA82 abusers try that yet?

A backyard offroad mod'er after my own heart :D As I was swaping in a 'new' axle this Memorial day I was looking at where the swabar links used to be mounted and said to myself "Self; wouldnt that be a good spot to mount some skids?" and I replyed to myself "sho'nuff!" Now I just have to talk to my proffesional fabricator on making it happen ;)