Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I have a hum-dinger of a question. On my 99 legacy sus 2.5L. I desided to change the front rotors due to the fact that they where vibrating a little when braking, and turning them was just not cutting it anymore. I replace my rotors, and now everything breaks just fine. But when i reach around 50+ my Stearing Weel begins to shake again, but stop when you break. I have had my tires rotated and balance and my font end alignment is fine. I must admit that the breaks where a little tough getting off, and required quite a bit of torque. Is it possible that I screwed something up with the front end, or is there a simple soloution? I'd apreciate any ideas because this one has me stoppered. ( I hate to take my car to the machanics, pride I guess)

Bigtoe

Bigtoeballew,

Could you have a bad strut on one side up front?

You've rebalanced tires, new rotors, and an alignment. There isn't anything else unless the propeller shaft to the rear end has tossed a balancing weight (if indeed it had any to begin with).

Here's a suggestion that I've used more than once with brake rotors that pulse and are at the same stage of wear, AND are still safe to use. I swap them side to side. It has cured the brake shimmy on more than one ocassion. Keep us posted as to how it all works out.

I too have an inconsistant vibration coming through the steering wheel. It seems to be more prevalent at higher speeds but it can show up as low as 40 mph. I like you have had the wheels rebalanced and the alignment done. Rotation doesn't make a difference as well. I did have a brake job done late last year. They had to smooth my rotors out as well. Since then the brake vibration has reappeared slightly. I will be waiting to see if you make any progress.

is it just under braking...or acceleration as well??

If you have an auto beware torque bind:banana:

It's when I'm cruising. Course I get a slight vibration when braking, but I think I need to replace my rotors next time I have a brake job. Luckily I have a 5MT. To be honest I've always thought my tires were suspect. Ever since new they have been loud. I've wondered if I got one bad tire that just can't be balanced correctly. It's about time for a new set so I will know if that was the culprit.