Ultimate Subaru Message Board

please help me time my EA82T

habib99

Hi, I've got a EA82t but a flywheel with no timing marks - is there another way of working out where the timing is so that I can fit the cam belts in the right place. -and what about the dizzy - can anyone tell me how to set it on the right place -as a rough static time setting - I've had a look at Miles Fox how-to guides -brilliant but nothing on the dizzy setting.

thanks for any advice -I'm desperate to get this lovely motor started!

The timing belts timing marks are located on the flywheel. I don't see how they cannot be there. Rotate the engine a full revolution. You will be looking for 3 closely spaced scribe marks. No numbers or ATDC/BTDC...just 3 lines. But if they aren't there, then the circumference of the flywheel had to have been machined for some unknown reason. Save yourself a ton of grief and find another flywheel.

The timing belts timing marks are located on the flywheel. I don't see how they cannot be there. Rotate the engine a full revolution. You will be looking for 3 closely spaced scribe marks. No numbers or ATDC/BTDC...just 3 lines. But if they aren't there, then the circumference of the flywheel had to have been machined for some unknown reason. Save yourself a ton of grief and find another flywheel.

thnig is its an aftermarket flywheel - definately no belt marks -there is a 0degree and 20degree mark but no three marks. I might have to get another flywheel and mark this one in the right place somehow -ahhhhhg why is nothing ever as easy as I think its going to be!! :)

Thought maybe I could work it out by feeling no 1 piston reaching its top point or something! -wishful thinking?

What about the distributor setting?

thanks for comments so far

wait one gosh darned minute, there are aftermarket flywheels for EA82 motors.........are they lightened? damn, im out of the loop, time to do some searching.

dont get your hopes up ---- this is a flywheel that has been welded together to allow me to join the EA82 to a vw tranny - sorryto get you excited about it! Although I'm sure there are places who could lighten a flywheel acurately.

A VW transmission? Are you building a buggy? :brow:

A 356 speedster! and a buggy once that is done - I have three EA82T engines, (two ecu & sensors etc) so going to use two in projects and one for spares so should be able to pump up the boost and see what happens with the safety of spare heads etc :D Should be a lot of fun -I love this site, especially the performace upgrades pages that got recently compiled -it rocks

-thing is L series are getting dam rare in the UK now as their body work got to rusty -got a Legacy for daily driving though (converted to LPG) not as good as L series but less rusty!

anyway -off to find a flywheel so I can fit the belts on this baby.

This post will be moved to the retrofit forum

But for your belt issue

The position you need is where both left side pistons

and right side pistons are at the same location

in the cyl. bore i.e. half way in their travel.

A wooden dowel can be used to find this position

As for the distributor. position.

Once the belts are fit

Find TDC on #1 (front left cyl facing the engine)

with it on compression (both valves closed)

The rotor then points to the spark plug wire tower

which is almost facing the rear of the vehicle

(when conventionally mounted)

The finial timing must be done with the green connectors

(test mode connectors)

connected and a timing light. 22' BTDC

I would advise marking TDC on the flywheel and

using a controllable timing light

or

get a harmonic damper from an 87 or later XT

They have the ig. timing on the damper.

Hope this helps

You are most welcome my friend,

good luck with your project.

After achieving nirvana

you may want to add some "go fast goodies"

such as my lump has

willyslump.jpg

Dude, that is a very pretty sight :) Beautiful.... Give me time obe-skip-one, I have much to learn of the driving force!

btw can you tell me what the cannister thing is in the bottom left of this picture with the 4 tubes that go to the rail, is it important?? :D

That sir, is the evaporative canister.

The purge valve uses it to keep fuel tank vapors in check.

I know not what you plan for emission control,

so the ultimate answer lies in your court.

Thank you for your kind words, but I am but a grasshopper.

That sir, is the evaporative canister.

The purge valve uses it to keep fuel tank vapors in check.

I know not what you plan for emission control,

so the ultimate answer lies in your court.

Thank you for your kind words, but I am but a grasshopper.

Yeh.. emmissions not a real issue as it'l be running in an officially old car that wont have emmission regulation but then again I dont really want to waste fuel so may have to find space for it.

Doubt connecting it will cost or save fuel.

But

you could have derivability problems if you do not vent the petrol tank

via some method.

Holy gas cap, Batman

hee hee - probably just make room for it and fit it -lets face it -Subaru put it there for a reason -who am I to meddle!