Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ive heard others with this same problem.

It is amazing that after driving other vechicles on the dealers lot that has the same problem that more people have not complained to Subaru or if they did Subaru is not responding.

We current own a 1997 & 2002 that do not have this problem.

Where do you go to get someone, other than customer service, at Subaru to fix this?

my grandparents 05 has this problem also. They've complained to the local dealer, and have been told it's the normal operating characteristics.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27345&highlight=legacy+cruise+control+problem

and

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10725&highlight=cruise+control+legacy

if you pursue it with subaru I'd love to know how it turns out.

For anyone who is experiencing the cruise control nightmare in the 2005 4cyl, 4 spd automation as i am, please write to:

jmergen@subaru.com

please reference my case # 743944

Here is Deloria Marshall's response to my complaint:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for taking the time to contact us. We apologize for the difficulties you have encountered regarding your 2005 Legacy I Limited Sedan.

Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that the cruise control operation that you have experienced is a normal operating condition. We are aware of this condition and we are confident the operation is not indicative of damage or defect within the cruise control system. We are working very closely with our service technical support regarding this matter.

She certainly has not driven one of these models with these comments.

The more people who write the better.

You can also reach her at 856-488-3206

Thank you,

Gary Morgan

• 6 months later...
I just bought a 2005 legacy 4 cylinder 4 speed automatic

and the cruise seems to be bucking when i go down hills.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions?

Pilgrim 54 here FINALLY FINALLY Got somewhere with this issue!!! After 11 months. Learned to live with the surging but new problem developed. Cruise would shut off on it's own after being on 20 to 45 minutes. Once this happened cruise refused to stay on. Took it in for repair of surging as well. They offered to let me drive several '06s. I took out THREE of them!!! ALL of them had the surging problem. Two standards and one auto.

Don't tell me no one else has the problem. If you've not experieced this you'd have no justifiable input. This on/off again throttle is severe enough that it will make your head go back and forth. People riding in your car think you're spastic! While on a test drive I looked over at the tech and HIS head was going back and forth!! Sort of a Subaru wave going on here. The official response was "cruise working as designed". However the tech investigated his new Subaru Tech Assistance Bullitans and found A NEW repair for this problem. So go , children, pursue your dreams of a smooth, normally working cruise control. Tell your tech to look at the new survice bulletins for this issue has been addressed.

This problem was finally fixed by Subaru. They had to take out the computer and send it back to recallibrate it. They had the car over the Thanksgiving weekend. Gave us a rental. Now the cruise works well. Does not shut off. Does not surge on and off going downhill. As I put it , if you bought this car you'd not notice a problem with the cruise at all.