Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Supercharger

WJM

seriously considering junking the turbo...and going supercharging.

Yes yes...i know that turbo is more efficient than super...but super has not lag, and for autox...super is better in alot of cases.

After driving a near bone stock 2.5 RS today, and severely beating down a nearly stock STi and other turbo cars...im thinking about it more.

has anyone actually succesfully SC'd an EA engine or ER? ive seen pics of an ER27...but...does it run?

...i know that turbo is more efficient than super...but super has not lag, and for autox...super is better in alot of cases.

Turbo-superchargers are not significantly more efficient than mechanically driven superchargers, especially in an autox type of usage. And lag is not specific to turbos: A mechanically driven centrifugal supercharger (eg Paxton) would also exhibit lag.

Go ahead and give it a try.

A dude by the name of Douglas Vincent has a supercharged Legacy Wagon in washington. I met him at the WCSS and spoke to him a little on the legacy board. he's the one who bought my AWIC and he has it in use on the supercharged EJ22.

he's done alot of fabbing and testing to get it almost right. look him up on bbs.legacycentral.org

-Brian

i did super' a ea81, then i got greedy with the wanting more boost and it grenaded shortly after.....however it was on carb pistons and im pretty sure it went lean possibly due to it outstriping the amount of fuel my lpg regulator could supply. also got told in no uncertain terms by a 'orifice' of the law that i wasn't allowed it unless it was a certified mod' , that cost $300 that i didn't have at the time.

that said,it went like a rocket untill i wanted "more" .

one thing to think about if your racing is weight, a Rootes type blower is about 3-4 times as heavy as a turbo of the same realistic capability

i had an SC12 off a 4agze......be warned if you are going to try a toyota blower that you can't run petrol through them as it toasts the seals in real short order

A dude by the name of Douglas Vincent has a supercharged Legacy Wagon in washington. I met him at the WCSS and spoke to him a little on the legacy board. he's the one who bought my AWIC and he has it in use on the supercharged EJ22.

he's done alot of fabbing and testing to get it almost right. look him up on bbs.legacycentral.org

-Brian

That's one bad @$$ Legacy!!! I talked to him about it at WCSS as well and he's running a Mercedes supercharger off of a Kompressor I believe. Here's a pic of the motor at the show http://usmb.net/gallery/album274/WCSS6_049

As both of the above described engines are dead, I would look at a more reliable formula.

There is a guru in Adelaide Australia by the name of Steve, goes by Steve-rising-sun on the ausubaru board.

He had built a couple of supercharged EA motors. They are still running.

He willl have another built and running soon, MINE.

Propane (or LPG here in Oz) is the key- its all about running them on gas to prevent detonation.

When EA81's are so cheap and the blowers are around $250 on ebay, why bloody not!

Yeah mine is dead, but you have to ask "why?"

Greedy.

It doesnt matter what you boost with if the timing isnt pulled. Run stock NA ecu and after awhile of high boost you are going to break something. Mine broke real bad but because I knew it was going to so I forced its hand and took it too the drag strip not once, but twice with bad compression, ran the crap out of it, AND THEN, ran the crap out of it at a rallycross. Near the end the boost was hitting almost 10 psi. I still drove it home, washed it off, went and picked up my kid, and drove it around the next day. And then parked it.

You need some sort of engine management no matter what you have if the car wasnt intended to have boost.

RedDevil, well done with what you have created,

I read with interest the nasoic thread. I hope you get it running again.

The treatment you have given that motor was sure a good test - harsher than normal conditions thats for sure.

The original question here was for EA or ER engines though. LPsuperchargedbrumby has had it real close to reliable with mild boost, I beleive the turbo pistons will allow a little more boost without "grenading".

Hopefully.

The pulleys I have are geared to run 8 psi, with gas I am looking for 35% more power at least.

RELIABLY.

1/4 mile times are not critical to me, smooth delivery of power is.

Cheers

Matt

I will be going with full engine management.

Dont know what I am going to do with the bottom end...I've proven that the stock EA82T bottom end can handle 300+ ft-lbs of TQ. I am going to get some Cometic head gaskets and ARP head studs to prevent head gasket failure every 10k~20k miles.

At this point...two 'quickie' options i am thinking of...using the stock EA82T bottom end and putting 10~12 psi to it....or the stock EA82 NA bottom end and run 8~10 psi to it. I ran a stock NA one with a stock EA82 turbo setup on one for 24k miles. Rings gave up at that point.