Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low voltage reading, but voltage seems ok?

This has been an ongoing problem ever since I got my RX... has been annoying the crap out of me. Every now and then the voltage reading will suddenly drop to about 10-11 volts. When it drops, the "Charge" and "Stop Lamp" warning lights come on. This low reading will last anywhere from a few seconds to indefinitely. Today I drove the car 40 miles with it reading like that. Here's the funny thing though- the lights still shine brightly, and it's reading between 13 and 14 volts at the battery. I have a few spare alternators around here, so I'm going to swap one tomorrow and see what happens. This really bugs the heck out of me though- why would it be reading so low if the car is obviously running healthy voltage? Any suggestions?

Since the voltage is ok at the battery that means there is a problem with the wiring to accessories. Using your voltmeter check the lead that goes to the fuse panel. Also check the fusible links for a bad connection. One other thing it may be is the ignition relay may be intermittant.

I should also mention it could be the ignition switch.

Even though it was still reading good voltage at the battery with a multitester, I went ahead and threw on one of my spare alts anyway. Problem solved! I've never seen anything happen that way- but, it *was* a parts store special alternator, and I've seen those fail in any way conceivable. Total junk.

My brat is still doing the same as your RX did . I put a brand new alt on and it still does it. Took it to a auto elec shop and they had no answers. If we go spot light shooting at night sometimes the ute konks out. New battery as well. I assume there has to be a break in the wiring loom.

To avoid future electrical problems, I suggest a ground wire kit, these older subaru's have terrible ground systems.