Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX turns 300,000

On the drive home today... :banana::banana:

300000miles.jpg

I bought the car about 14 months ago with 251,000 miles, been using it for my daily for less than a year. It has (and is) serving me quite well, a bit of an oil leak, and some HVA tick once in a while but a strong runner, even did a rallycross in it. Funest car I've ever driven, not bad for $500 bucks.:D

I wanted to snap the pic at 100mph (had to get the needle out from in front of the odometer anyway :D ), but it rolled over up on the pass heading into one of the shaper corners so 90 something was all I felt comfortable with. But have no fear, I wound it up to 100mph a little further down the road where it was safe just to prove old Subies can still haul a$$

I figured it was worth a post and a dancing banana or two.

Gary

P.S. dont mind my silly oil gauge, the sender's goofy, I've checked it with a mechanical gauge and my pressure is fine.

That's an awesome gauge pod.

Does the turbo light come on at a set rev count, or a certain manifold pressure?

Does the driveline drawing in the middle light up or do anything besides notify you that your car rocks?

And congrats on your mileage.

Nice shot. It's good to know that even the "hot" EA82Ts can make it to 300K with proper care - at that rate my JDM mill should make it to the year 2050 or so with the number of miles I put on it. :D

I too am curious about the high end of these cars, but not that curious about mine yet :rolleyes:

The display in the center of the gauge lights up in at least 2 different colors, if I remember right - one for doors, one for 4WD HI / LO range. These instrument clusters have me scratching my head trying to figure out what else to add. I looked at new Imprezas and you have to spec the oil pressure gauge as an option, it sits outside the main instrument area on the dash!

Yeah, the EA cars have a better dash/gauge layout than my Legacys, I like having full gauges and there is no good way to add them in the Legs.

Thw turbo light comes on at any boost (above 0psi) and the center diplay shows all sorts of pretty lights (it was the '80s after all), doors, high beams, low range, and diff lock, what all it shows depends on the car and options. I should go take a pick with it all lit up.

75subie, I haven't really strung it out, but it gets up to 95mph or so pretty quick, over 100 takes a little bit. I'd bet it would top out in the 115-120mph range on flat ground with no wind.

Gary

that temp is low? I was going to say that looks a little high to me, and he has a funky sender for the oil press. so it reads low. and ya I have to agree 95 comes quick but after thats its a slow climb, and i always chicken out when I get to 105 :(

Some dash pics just for fun.

dash.jpg

cockpit.jpg

I'm running a 180deg thermostat and since I put in the new double core radiator it rarely moves off that, I can get it to mid gauge (about 192deg) with long boost runs up the pass (2-5 psi for about 4 miles), and long boost with the A/C maxed with bring it to about 2/3 on the gauge. But that was before I put the mechanical clutch fan back on.

And yeah, my oil sender is messed, it checks out fine with a mechanical gauge, about 45psi at 3500rpm (75mph). Running 10W40 and over due for a change.

I've only had it just over 100mph, and only about 3 times, I typically drive no more than 5mph over the limit.

Gary

• 1 month later...

90 Legacy Wgn 2WD has 275k, all original miles. most of its life it was used in the mtns of TN and WV as a paddlin' wagon. now just a daily driver. my mom always busts on me about how "beat" it looks. she had to put her brand new car in the shop and i let her borrow mine to get groceries, etc. she brought it back and was like: "that little car can get up and go. i spun the tires leaving the red light and blew everyone away." i just laughed and told her she should've gotten a soobe!:grin: i have a friend who has an older wagon (not sure of the year) that has rolled over and has 50K+ on it now. he parked it in his garage in TN and went to Colorado for a year, flew down this spring, put a battery in it, changed the oil and drove back to aspen. now it's his daily driver.