Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does a normal single din spaced car stereo unit fit into a 95 Legacy wagon? A lot of sites that I go to which have you input your car says that nothing will fit the Legacy, except Crutchfields. Do you just need something special to make the head unit fit or is it a major mod?

9465all_back_together1-thumb.JPG this is what i have done on my 94 leg.radio is mounted using the stock bracket an a filler strip that was in the car when i got it.car came with no radio cause the guy that owned it prior to me had custom audio through out.

The fit is pretty good, and you get a bonus little pocket to put stuff in.-just like 99 sus.that storage compartment also is a stock piece.

the spacer might be avaiable at you local car audio/video store for cheap

It depends on the radio.

In my setup the top unit is too wide and almost too deep. It is supposedly a single-DIN, but larger than any other aftermarket radio I have ever owned. The bottom one fits perfectly. Most aftermarket single-DIN radios should fit without a problem.

-Heikki

554radio_bezel-thumb.jpg

It depends on the radio.

In my setup the top unit is too wide and almost too deep. It is supposedly a single-DIN, but larger than any other aftermarket radio I have ever owned. The bottom one fits perfectly. Most aftermarket single-DIN radios should fit without a problem.

-Heikki

554radio_bezel-thumb.jpg

i notice in the pic that you have a pocket where the ashtray would be... is there something i can get for my impreza that will replace the ashtray as i have no use for an ashtray?

also, what are the 2 units for? they both just look like stereos...

[thread_hijack]

i notice in the pic that you have a pocket where the ashtray would be... is there something i can get for my impreza that will replace the ashtray as i have no use for an ashtray?

also, what are the 2 units for? they both just look like stereos...

Perhaps in '96 the ashtrays were only shipping with a smokers' package - ? I know this seems to be common with most new cars these days. I also don't have a lighter in my 12V outlet in the console. There is just that plastic cap instead.

The top unit provides turn-by-turn navigation and houses the map CD permanently while the lower unit provides satellite radio, CD, and MP3 capability. The lower unit's preamps run into the upper unit's AUX in.

This allows me to keep the NAVI Map CD inserted at all times plus use the amplifier and tuner in the upper unit (the latter two items are of much better quality in the upper unit).

The upper unit can be used alone, but doesn't play MP3's or handle satellite radio. Plus I would then have to remove my audio CD to calculate a route (you can put the audio CD back in and start driving once the route is calculated) and that's a PitA.

-Heikki

[/thread_hijack]

In my moms 95 Legacy and my 96 OBW there is room for a double din radio...but also a single din with an empty slot below it (as it came stock) Just hook the aftermarket unit up to the metal bracket that was on the OE radio...and its all good. I moved my radio to the bottom slot, and have the empty slot on top (can see the radio better then cup holder is being used)

In my moms 95 Legacy and my 96 OBW there is room for a double din radio...but also a single din with an empty slot below it (as it came stock) Just hook the aftermarket unit up to the metal bracket that was on the OE radio...and its all good. I moved my radio to the bottom slot, and have the empty slot on top (can see the radio better then cup holder is being used)

This sounds about right and is how I had mine for some time. I think you should have no problems. If you want to be certain pop out the factory HU (provided you have one) and measure the opening.

I do miss the empty storage area, that thing is very convenient.

-Heikki

I just swapped a single din radio into my 99 OBW.

It wasn't too terribly difficult. You will need a wiring harness (can get at crutchfield) and if you want they can send you a thing to put in a pocket like other's have said. If you have a pocket already, you should be able to reuse it.

Match up the wires on the harness with the wires on the back of the new radio. I just stripped them and connected them with butt connectors.

Take your old radio out, and take off the factory brackets. Make note of where they were installed on the stock radio. This will help when you put the aftermarket in.

Attatch the factory brackets to the aftermarket radio. You can also install the pocket at this point if you want/have one.

Hook up the wiring harness that you connected to the new radio into the wiring harness left in the car and hook up your antenna. May need to get an antenna extender for this.

Slide the radio in and put everything back together as it was.

This wasn't too hard for me to do. Took about 2 hours or so. The hardest part was trying to get that stupid trim panel piece back in with the cigarette lighter.