Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can you combine a dr5speed and a fulltime?

ok just wondering if anyone has tryed this.

take a dr5speed, take out the locked center diff portion or whatever and replace it with the center difflock. from a 5speed with diff lock. that way you would have a

5speed 2wd high,

5speed awd high

5speed awd low

(now difflock)

5speed 4x4 high, low

anyway i asume that the trany cases are differnt so you might need a fulltime dr 5speed for the center diff to work or

put the gear set from a dr5speed into a fulltime dr 5speed.

anyway i want a 2wd Awd 5speed with diff lock. going to try if i can fine the other tranys. i have the dr5speed so i need a 5speed with difflock or a fulltime 5speed dual range

Boy, I tell you, people on the board never cease to amaze me with the ideas that they come up with. For the life of me, I can not figure why someone would want this configuration, so please enlighten me with your reason for such a configuration.

Personally, I'd want:

awd with diff lock

low range with a minimum of 2:1

axle ratios are around 411 to 456s

Now we're talking some torque multiplication!:grin:

The only reason for 2wd is for smoking the tires to grab attention. Since the rear drivetrain is always turning, there would be very minimal milage increace.

Course, smoking all four is much more impressive. :burnout: hehe hondas kant do that. :-p

here is the reason i want this.

i live in montana(going to move to alaska)

lots of reasons,

normal driving ice HI AWD no/difflock (cant have that with a normal DR5speed)

deep snow HI Awd w/difflock

long open auto x (like helena) awd no difflock(again no dr5speed)

short auto x, LOW awd with difflock. (no dr5speed)

performance driving on snow and ice LOW awd With difflock

oh yea and i want all the power i can get to the wheels now im on a budget and while ill be doing Downpipe, intercooler and MAYBE 10lbs of boost i dont want to do things that will cause stuff like WJM was doing(very cool but i dont have the money for it if i did id try to)

now the rx trany has some lowrange but the dr5speed is much better and the trany is cheep(rx and 5speed dr) if it would work i could do it for 200 bucks thats cheep for all the options it would present.

LOL yea ive got more time then money.... :rolleyes:

Oh yes they can, with the P-brake on. Well, smoke at all four wheels, at least.

Spinin all fours? rriiigghhttt

WJM: Yes, this thread does confoozes me, too.

tailgatewagon:

I think your best bet is the RX tranny.

Well that answers everything except why you would want 2WD.

here is the reason i want this.

i live in montana(going to move to alaska)

lots of reasons,

normal driving ice HI AWD no/difflock (cant have that with a normal DR5speed)

deep snow HI Awd w/difflock

long open auto x (like helena) awd no difflock(again no dr5speed)

short auto x, LOW awd with difflock. (no dr5speed)

performance driving on snow and ice LOW awd With difflock

oh yea and i want all the power i can get to the wheels now im on a budget and while ill be doing Downpipe, intercooler and MAYBE 10lbs of boost i dont want to do things that will cause stuff like WJM was doing(very cool but i dont have the money for it if i did id try to)

now the rx trany has some lowrange but the dr5speed is much better and the trany is cheep(rx and 5speed dr) if it would work i could do it for 200 bucks thats cheep for all the options it would present.

LOL yea ive got more time then money.... :rolleyes:

im wondering if its possible to set up the tranny so that 2wd is the rear wheels instead of the fronts. that would be sweet in the rx. imagine being able to put the rear limited slip to use on dry pavement and not breaking stuff, then when the conditions get bad or you hit gravels or off road, you could still go ito 4wd hi and low. kinda like a truck but in fast car form.

any one ever look into anything like this??

This thread confused the hell out of me as well. After reading it for the 19th time, I think I gather what he's wanting..

He's wanting to have the benefits of a regular dual range, (fwd, 4wd) AND be able to experience unlocked 4wd (AWD) in both ranges as well.

FWD

4HI (locked center section)

4LOW (locked center section)

AWD HIGH (unlocked center section)

AWD LOW (unlocked center section)

Or, in other words, a D/R FT4wd RX tranny (lockable center section), but with the ability to uncouple completely and run in FWD mode only.

Hopefully that assists others in understanding this seriously confusing thread.

You could just use a FT4WD tranny and put a drive line lock in the rear, like they put in trucklets and stuff ppl tow behind their motorhomes, unlock the drive shaft, lock the center diff, and ya have 2WD. Seen the same thing for front axles, could do that then you'd have RWD...

Hey, I understand where you're coming from and don't think its a bad idea at all :). My bro just got a BRAT, he likes the true FWD / 4WD high / 4WD low option, but it would be nice to have a 5 speed. Considering it looks like $500-700 for an RX tranny, it would be nice to just take the BRAT transfer case and mate it to a free-$100 Loyale 5-speed. Cheaper, and provides everything but the AWD (which, I know, is the whole point of a Subaru, but hey, have to make sacrifices somewhere). Anyway, no answer on this yet; does anyone have any idea, or do I have to go out and do it myself :)?

In OZ the've taken the real low range, 1.52 and put it into an RX tranny, you do have the 3.7 which is less effective than the 3.9, but you have a better low range, I plan on doing this eventually, i'll have a write up about it,

Ok, I just thought I should inform everyone that I have had these 2 trannies, the EA82 DR & RX FT4wd tranny apart for a very long time and it scares me trying to figure out how to make things work... Heres what you can do.. the low range switch is a definite yes, thats easy to get a 1.52 low range into an RX tranny... you just swap it out.. The hard part is making the final drive 3.9, which for a long time I thought was impossible, but after some recent discoveries, it IS possible. The XT6 uses a 5 speed ft4wd transmission that has a 3.9 final drive ratio... YOU NEED the outputshaft and ring gear from this transmission, along with some shims I imagine, and it will fit in the RX tranny, so in the end you will end up with a 1.52 low gear, Ft4wd transmission with centerlock, and a final drive of 3.9.. which as far as I am concerned.. is AWESOME.

I hope that transmission is still in the yard by the time I get back to it in a few weeks.

-Mike

i only want rwd cause i think it would be fun to play with, that and i really dont like fwd. besides, my rx doesnt have the diff locks or full tim 4wd, it had true dual range 4wd. i want to be able to play around with the car in dry weather with out geting drive line binding.

the full time RX box is a cool transmission...

but its open center diff is pretty retarded when you get to high power levels...

out of 10 launches...

4 will send all the power to the front

4 will send the power to the back, and a little in the front..

2 will snap your neck..

this is all cured by turning the difflock on..

i just got mad at the affair and welded the damn center diff, took out the front axles - and enjoyed my LSD equipped RWD sedan...

Beefaru (?) has a pretty nice setup in his wagon. It has an RX transmission with 4.11 gears and a super low 5th gear from a forester (he said 3000RPMs at 70mph?) as well as the AWD center section from a legacy trans in place of the differential lock. and he fixed up the differential lock solenoid, using a button, to switch between high and low.

the more i think about it, the more that sounds perfect...

hum 700 for an rx trany. thats crazy i can get one for 150 tops. 1only though and i think i will get it... as to why i want 2wd.

ITS SAFER ON ICE,

at slow speeds maybe not maybe awd is better but here in montana driving slow on ice only happens when your getting off the freeway or in town..

here are my impreshions and probably shouldt be duplicated by the stupid(or the smart),

87 wagon DR5 speed. crazy scary at 80 mph on packed snow or slushy ice on freeway. thats in 4x4. in 2wd its a white nuckle afair but not bad,

i used to drive this wagon 160 miles home from school on the weekends and alot of the winter was conditions as state above

my parents 91 legacy. always fells like it want to come around in corners when driving fast on the stuff as well (75-90ish).

if you think im makeing it up well thats your deal. my first time braking 100mph was on snowpack on the 2lane from helena MT to threeforks mt it was -20 F and didnt feel to bad. also the trucks here do 70-75 tops in the winter. so 80 relly isnt that bad. the only time ive been off the road going fast was in my 1972 cady deville.

maybe some of you think differntly or think i should slow down(probably) but i like 2wd for fast winter driving. (anything above 60mph)

oh yea just so you dont think im trying to kill people. if you know the road from bigtimber to lewistown ive drive that road alot at night and never passed a ca

for 80miles. on many trips from bozeman to lewistown i would only pass 3-5 cars on the whole 160 mile trip.

Beefaru (?) has a pretty nice setup in his wagon. It has an RX transmission with 4.11 gears and a super low 5th gear from a forester (he said 3000RPMs at 70mph?) as well as the AWD center section from a legacy trans in place of the differential lock. and he fixed up the differential lock solenoid, using a button, to switch between high and low.

the more i think about it, the more that sounds perfect...

my 88 turbo wagon with the 4speed auto (4eat) isnt even up in the powerband at 80mph. its pulling like 2500-2800rpm at 80mph you have to drive like 100mph to keep it in 4th gear which isnt relly feasable in the 88 turbo at least not on corners with the cruise on. its the only auto trany sept the svx setup that works awsome for road triping. wish the 5speed was like this. thanks for the info on your budys setup thats awsome... :headbang: