Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Re: lifted EA82's

pyromanic

Ok, only have about 65 miles on this 3"x3" PK lifted wagon.

Everything seems just fine, in fact better than fine!

But one thing I don't know what to do about is it that the centrifigal clutch fan wants to hit the wiring harness at the bottom of the radiator. There was enough slack in the harness to take some plastic locking ties and pull it back against the front of the engine, but that seems like only a tempory solution to a permenant problem. It looks like there is almost (but probably not quite) enough slack in the harness down there to re route it up above the rad. but don't really think that will work.

What other solutions to this have been used?

Thanks

Pyro

it's a very small gain. i did it because i hate the clutch fan for being a pain to remove when necessary. off roaders do it because they can rig a switch setup to turn off their fans in water. horsepower/gas mileage is the least important reason to do it (let's say that it would take a while for it to pay for the cost of the electric fan) but you still get bragging rights :D

But the electrics are so darn noisy, can't hear the engine properly. I don't like that. Also that clutch fan is darn reliable it seems to me.

I agree that the clutch fan is a PIA to remove. Descisions. Mmmm.

Pyro

But the electrics are so darn noisy, can't hear the engine properly. I don't like that.
The answer is simple.. your exhaust isnt loud enough. :grin:

I've got the standard electric AND the A/C aux electric wired to come on as one.. and I can still hear the tapping of the valves and the exhaust note just fine. Only time I ever hear my fans is when I'm idling for extended periods.. and even then I keep a close eye on that temp gauge and prop the bonnet to make sure they're actually coming on. :rolleyes:

Maybe you heard someone's electric with a bird stuck in the grille or something? :lol:

your fans must be in bad shape or something.... the only fan I can hear is on my lifted 82 brat. Cant hear it on my GL or my street brat. I remember my moms old tercel had a really loud fan though. Maybe your fans are slightly out of balance or something... :-\

A loud exhaust will help to cover it up though :)

But the electrics are so darn noisy, can't hear the engine properly. I don't like that. Also that clutch fan is darn reliable it seems to me.

I agree that the clutch fan is a PIA to remove. Descisions. Mmmm.

Pyro

Put it on a manual switch and then you have full control over it. Turn it off if you want to listen closer.

Honestly though if a problem isnt loud enough to hear over an electric fan its not worth worrying about! :lol:

pyromanic, i can't believe you think the mechanical fan is a pia to remove. As for the noise, i found the twin thermo's to be quieter than the mechanical one.

The reason the mechanical ones are difficult for me to remove is because of quite large hands. Also, hands a bit clumsy after decades of taking a beating. (long story from a universe far, far away, has to do with career descisions, and a former life of HD's, choices of company and low life late nite seedy dens of iniquity, all lubricated liberaly with alcohol)

Be that as it may, you guys are right about the electrics not being that loud. The first Subaru fan I tried was obviously shot. Squeeled. Second one did not squeel, but was still loud in it's own way. Problem was I had no frame of reference as I've never heard what a good one is supposed to sound like. Since you guys kept saying they SHOULD be quiet, I then tried yet a third one. Yup, nice and quiet. Of course, the first two were very high mileage.

And I have since purchase a nice big one from NAPA, found a good thermoswitch, and got it working.

So now I have two. Tne stock fan is on a toggle, The NAPa on the thermo. I'm finaly satisfied.

Thanks for all yer help guys.

Pyro

And I have since purchase a nice big one from NAPA, found a good thermoswitch, and got it working.

So now I have two. Tne stock fan is on a toggle, The NAPa on the thermo. I'm finaly satisfied.

Can you give part #'s and pix of the install for some of the rest of us. :) I have had dual suby fan before, but musta wired them wrong because I would blow fuses on real hot days.

Can you give part #'s and pix of the install for some of the rest of us. :) I have had dual suby fan before, but musta wired them wrong because I would blow fuses on real hot days.

Can't do pics at this time, but will try to describe what I've done. I consider the wireing temporary for now, since I used no relays, and also have yet to solder the joints. I was just trying to figure out how to get it all run. Also have yet to have any hot weather, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that I don't have similar problems!

Ok, for the stock subaru fan on the passenger side, I found the hot wire to the stock themo switch, (which I ignored for the time being) extended it into the cabin, where it is switched, then from switch back back fan. This has an in line fuse. Then grounded the fan.

Then for the NAPA fan, I found a hot (only with ignition on) wire by the passenger headlight, ran it with inline fuse to the fan. Wired the thermoswitch in the ground line. Fan comes on at a little over 200F.

I was in a hurry and experementing, so all joints need to soldiered. (Used those clamp on cheapies for the time being), and I think I should have a relay in both circiuts. Oh, and I used a cheap toggle, which I think should be upraded as I've read stuff about those burning out.

I shoudn't have said I was satisfied, cause it's not done, or safe yet. I should have I am satified with my progress. Soryy. There is much to do yet.

Another thing about the NAPA fan, is I don't like how it mounts, it mounts with plastic through the rad thingys. I need to fabricate steel brackets and bolt it up solid.

I'm just so strapped for time, sometimes I juryrig stuff just to get started and try get things working, then go back and improve it based on what I have learned, and I've got a lot to learn.

Hope this helps, there sure is a bunch of good reading regarding electric fans when you search.