Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Body Parts Update

Here's an udate on the body parts ordered online.

The first hood and passenger fender came from http://www.autopartsland.com. Fender was fine. Hood was toast thanks to DHL. It was packed in a heavy cardboard case, bubble wrapped all over and packed in a second box. They stabbed it with a fork on the fork truck. Claim filed. Still awaiting inspection.

The company found another hood. Arrived damaged, but repairable, to the tune of $200. Second claim filed. Still awaiting inspection.

Ordered a driver's fender from http://www.autobodypartsonline.com. (http://www.ABPOL.com) One month later, status is "OPEN"... means not shipped... I called several times, got a run around, no result. Emailed, no result. Finally, after 6 or more calls, spoke to a human, cancelled the order, followed up by email 3 times... 2 weeks later no credit back yet. Sent mail reiterating the cancellation. Still no refund. Next step, report to credit card company for refund.

I finally found a used driver's fender (new is unavailable, discontinued, through all online body shops) from Russ Hill (member here) He wrapped some bubble wrap top and bottom, taped the other stuff to the underside of it, slapped a label on it... it arrived perfect.

The latter must have been a respect issue... they could see it was a car part and treated it with the respect it needed to survive the trip?

On a brighter side, the Brat is half stripped and will get it's new primer as soon as DHL gets off the stick.

It's become a morale imperative to do it red. I saw an old BelAir that had a beautiul paint job done in knock-your-socks-off-eye-popping-red! I asked the owner and he told me it was 2003 Viper red... that's the color! Wow!

I'm playing with tan decals, white roll bar, wheels and "A" style brush guard (if I can find the roll bar and brush guard). It'll get a 3" lift too.

The red paint will be a bit pricey but since the body is in great shape, it'll be worth it.

Not much for bondo, a little on one door and tailgate were there's a small dent.

I found a LOT of bondo under the original maroon paint but can't justify why it was there? When I removed it, the only damage I found to the sheet metal are a couple of small dings about the size of a fingernail. Possible lot damage when it was new? There are 2 colors of primer under the original paint... grey base and tan over it.

I found 2 different colors of bondo on the lower rear where the side step would be, yet no damage to the sheet metal? That's why I originally thought the sidesteps were bondoed closed.

I also uncovered some strange very wide silver self-adhesive pinstriping material along the bottom of the door and fender?

The front passenger fender was replaced with a blue one at one point. It's been interesting getting through the layers.

Yes, I'll leave the pugs, but will paint them white and will need to fabricate some sort of center cap for them.

I want to take all the best qualities of the years and combine them on one Brat. The striping and decal will be more along a Gen 1 style with the swash going to the rear rather than the simple Brat on the pillar only. Add the side steps and jump seats... no one will know what year it is :)