Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering extention to rack question

Flowmastered87GL

Well my lifted 82 brat runs and drives again!

2 questions. #1 Can I get a new rubber circle piece that bolts between the steering rack and the steering extention that PK davis sent me? The rack is good and the extention is good. But the rubber is kind of old and I am afraid its gonna tear and crack and my steering is gonna go bye bye!

My days off dont really fit that well with the Suby parts department schedule so I thought I would ask here first. Anyone have a really good used replacement to sell?

#2 I dont have reverse in 4lo but I have it in 4 hi. From doing a search it looks like I just need to adjust some linkages. Does the adjustment have to be done under the car or under the console area? (I assume under the car, but I figured I'd check as I am unsure if I need to mess with the main shifter or the 4WD one)

$80!? Damn.. I musta scored the jackpot then. Mine ripped in half while I was attempting a hillclimb that resulted in me being wedged against the wall of the trail. Anywho.. a brand new one from my usually overpriced dealer ran me under $30. The folks at Autozone looked at me funny when I asked for the part. The computer claimed no such thing existed. Took about 4 days for the dealer to get it. Grand total was $30.24 as I recall after the governor took his cut. :lol:

I've got pics from when my OE arrived with a part number and everything. Unfortunately taken before I became more "organized" with my photos. Its here on my laptop.. somewhere. If I find it, I'll let you know so you can compare.

I myself am going to have to engineer a fix for my ragjoint. The "extension" makes all the angles funky, and forces the rajgjoint to bend and flex like a universal because the steering rod isnt perfectly straight into the rack. I know the new one cant last too long like this. *sigh*

ya mine is flexing alot too... im sure its under more stress than normal because its a bit harder to turn the wheel because the struts are kinda rubbing on the fenders still (need to BFH em still as I forgot it when I inserted the lift)

I'll try the dealer first. Failing that I will try autozone.

Do you know what I need to ask for at autozone for the part?

Like a steering rack coupler? or some other name?

I don't like to run the stock rubber flex disks due to the wearing and cracking. What I have found is that the same part for an old vw bug seen here .......http://www.doghouserepair.com/mall/description.php?ItemID=1252

fits perfectly and is much more durable. I have always run these on my vw's and have never had to replace one.

Discount Import parts in Milwaukie or Beaverton will have these in stock. Make sure to get the urethane one.