Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat vs. Baja

I was not on this board when the Baja was released so forgive me for bringing up something that has probably already been discussed.

When i was last on the bored there was a rumor that Subaru might build the new brat. People were very excited about it and I think that a group of folks sent Subaru a letter expressing interest in the "new brat."

I was just wondering what your reactions were to the new vehicle.

I was a bit underwhelmed. It sucks that it only has a 4 cylander and that just like the outbacks, it has too much plastic where there should be metal. I still think the baja is kind of cool though.

If there is an old thread discussing this, I would love to see it if someone could direct me.

thanks,

-Jack

The BAJA is precisly why I NEVER read prototype specifications anymore. I read what the BAJA was supposed to be and then saw what it was released as. To say it was a let down would be an understatment. Maybe it was just the US model that got royaly screwed? I didnt care enough about it to even look into it seeing how I wiould never be able to import one even if it was better over seas.

I would take an old BRAT over a new BAJA any day.

I've got a prety cool idea how to make a vintage Baha too. Can't tell ya yet, not till I do it.

:brow:

As for the new Baha. . .

I hated it at first, but they're slowly growing on me. Not like I'd run out and shell out 20k for one, but I'm getting used to it. Kind of like when they changed the body styles on the camaro and corvette in the 80's. I thought I'd never get used to them either when they were new.

Baha needs a dual range and better tires. Wouldn't necessarily be the baddest rump roast ride off road, but would probably be fairly formidable in the Sooby off road world.

The plastic crap can be ripped right off and tossed first thing. Maybe "bob" the rear. (and the front too for that matter)

10 years we can pick one up for 3k. . . PK oughtta have the lift perfected by then. Eh, Patrick? LOL

Here are ideas that went thru my head ! two versions of the brat renewed

version 1: 2door (of course) using wrx platform with turbo/or not

lowered with 18's and body kit,hard cover on back,no rollbar. I CALL IT STREET BRAT

VERSION 2: 2door again (duh) same platform 2" lift (aftermarket could have fun with this) Fender flares 15" or 16" tires ( for more versatility) rollbar with big spotters and a couple in the front with small pushbar I CALL IT RALLEY BRAT

THATS WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE!! THEY WOULD BE SELLING THE CRAP OUT THEM

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hey General, there are D/r's for the EJ motors, jes not in the US. I'm working on a way to get some of them over here for us from Australia or NewZeland. As for bobbing the Baja, if you did that, there wouldn't be much bed left, if any at all. If I got a Baja, I could weld up the rear doors, then remove the rear firewall, and move it to jes behind the rear seats, wha lah, a new Brat, as for a six, gimme about 15 years, and I'll have a 3.3 stuff into one, with a 6" lift and some real offroad tires and a good tranny. My bank is haveing a raffle thing, and one of the prizes is a new Baja, so if I do win, then this may not be 15 years in the future. Muw wa ha ha ha :brow:

Yeah - I knew about the D/R EJ's in other countries - but knowing they exist just pisses me off even more. If subaru doesn't think enough of the US market to even offer it as an option, then I won't buy one even if I *could* get one from AUS and drop it in. It's the priciple of the thing - if I want something, and they make that something - why can't I have it? And the bed is WAY too small. Might as well get an outback wagon - the cargo area is the same size, and you get it dry with carpet! Why they made it a four door with four seats is beyond me. Two seats would have been just fine, and allowed for a bigger bed.

Now - having said all that. If they offered a D/R tranny, factory lift kits, factory brush guards, and maybe a winch, I could get into it. But as it sits, it's an outback with no roof. BIG DEAL!

Not trying to offend anyone - if you like it, good - buy one. I'll keep my Brat thanks very much.

GD

Can you blame them for not offering a dual range tranny in thier all wheel drive vehicles marketed to America? I would love to have one too, and the lack of them is one of the reasons that have lost interest in subarus since the outback. But look at it from a marketing prospective; Most americans who buy off road capable vehicles have no reason to own them. I can walk outside right now and count hundreds of soccer moms driving around in huge suburbans and excursions with one hand on the wheel and the other holding the cell phone to the side of thier head. This is your typical suv, awd, whatever you want to call them buyer. I know that subes sell well in the rockies and the northeast and places where it snows and you may actually need the extra capability. That is why full time 4wd/ awd is so popular. Its a no brainer! Which is fortunate for the dumb@ss who just shelled out his anual income for an escalade because , he/she has no brain! And even if you have one of those super cool headsets for your cell phones, like the ones the people at McDonald's wear, you are still going to have to take your hand off of the $8.00 latte from Starbucks if you were to shift into 4 lo.

It would be awesome to be able to buy a trail ready subaru in 2003. But regretably car manufacturers are moving further and further away from niche cars. The Jeep Rubicon is a good exception, but again, subaru already has one status car, the WRX, and that is a lot for a company that has just overcome its quirky, reliable, oddball image in the eyes of the mainstream. And now that GM has an interest, you can bet that they wont be letting any Jap trap steal thier thunder in the truck market on these shores.

Its unfortunate, and I think that making a subaru with more off road capability than gold trim would be cool, but I cant blame them for selling what they sell. Don't blame SOA, blame your suburb dwelling, status symbol addicted, yuppie fellow country men.

Who knows, if this Bush recession continues people may need more economical status symbols and the Baja may one day see its full potential.

*Disclaimer- sorry if I offended anyone who has a 4wd with no good reason to own it, soccer moms who drive big huge trucks while talking on the phone too much at the wheel, anyone who spends more on a car than they made last year, people with those cell phone headsets, people that like paying $8.00 for coffee, people who like gold trim on thier "off road" vehicles, suburb dwellers, yuppies, or anyone else.

these are just my sick, twisted opinions.

-Jack:madder:

Jack is right most are used on the road, and in snow occasionally. A DR is still nice in snow, but most people suck at snow driving anyway, it probably won't help them, they'd probably never bothe to put in low either. And as far off-roading goes, the baja's 2 ft overhangs make it useless for anything but flat dirt roads.