Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lower gears front lsd?

Vanislru

So I want to improve my gearing on the wagon without dropping the 29's. So far all I can think of is ditching the 5 spd d/r 3.90 ratio and putting a lower geared trannie/diff in.

I want to reduce the gearing by about 20% has anyone had a 5 spd d/r trannie apart? Maybe I can swap in a different set of gears, what about the first drive gear off the input shaft maybe I can change that? If so then I wouldn't need to change the rear diff's gearing.

I'm going to grab a d/r 5dpd trannie from the graveyard and open it up and try to work something out, be real nice to stuff an lsd in there too.

Anybody open one of these up?

Thanks. I checked out the first link which had some good info and I couldn't get the secon link to work. My password isn't working for ausubaru either so I'll have to check it out tonite when I have the time to redo the password. Those pics of the trannie's guts give a clear picture of what little space there is to work with.

Link worked for me, but you can find it by following:

Forum Index > Conversions > ? 4.444 into dual range

Brumbyrunner, the guy doing the project, is a pretty handy/ingenious fella.

I got my password to ausubaru sorted out, conversions is one of the forums that you only get access to if you are a member. That's 4.44 input shaft swap is something that would really improve things. I'd get get back more than half the ratio I lost when I put 29's on.

thanks all_talk So if I've read everything right so far the gears are pressed onto the shaft with the possibilty of swapping a "set" of gears for another on the 2 shafts. Mudrat managed to get a front lsd into a d/r trannie too didn't he?

This view shows the D/R gears pretty well.

inside.jpg

The lower counter staft in the set is one piece, so this and the two main shaft gears would have to be manufactured, not a cheap idea. The other problem is space, a lower ratio gear set will take up more space. But If you look at the gear set it looks like the first set is 1:1 and the entire ratio is in the second set, if you are building your own gears you could add some ratio to this first set, possibly inverting the tooth count of the second set, resulting in a 3.184:1 low gear... but that kinda torque may give rise to other transmission problems.

Gary