Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who knows about Nissan truck front diffs?

All_talk

I did some searching but questions still remain…

What years have independent front suspension? Any with R160 or R180?

What ratios are common or available?

Any with LSD?

And, in a stock truck setup, looking from the front of the rig which way dose the front driveline turn, clockwise (right?) or counter clockwise?

Gary

Ok this is what I rember, The front diff in the old hardbady cars are all R-180's. some were 3.9:1 but most were 4.36:1 and some 4.??:1, or somwhere in between. I here that there are front LSD's from the factory and lockers(air or automatic) and LSD's availble aftermarket. Also look for the late 80's trucks with the solid stubshafts that have a snapring holding it in, that way you can use VLSD R-160 diff stubs in the diff so they are solid.

All driveshaft turn the same way no matter if they are in the front or the back it dosent matter what car it is, or I have not seen any that reverse one side in the T-Case(or that dont spin the 'common' direction). I believe that it was clockwise if looking from the back but dont hold me to that.

Matt

Depends on whether I'm going forward or reverse as to the rotation of the front driveshaft. Off the top of my head, I don't remember, but if you crawl under your soob, and look at the direction that the driveline turns when you go forward, that is the same direction that the front one turns. There is no reversing of the rotation on the outputs of the transfere case on the Nissan, as with any T-case that I know of. Your looking for 81-84. Almost as bad as looking of an EA81T, almost. Those are the optimial years for useage of parts on a Soob. After that they started going with other things, like the Offset diff/equal length axles that have an axle tube on one side of the diff.

I thikn it's the early 80s Datsun 4x4s that used an R160, cuz my friend had one, but I remembe diggign a while back and not being able to find an LSD or locker for it, HOWEVER you CAN get one for a 510 through Nissan Motorsports, but they are very expensive.

No R180 LSDs?

Kinda expensive but here's one:

http://www.purenissan.com/r180_lsd.htm

Actually $450 is not all that bad, It's a bit spendy, but if its the last part you need for a nice rig you could justify it.

I wonder if it fits both front and rear? Might be just the thing for the divorced T-case guys.

For me (street car) I think a VLSD will be smoother up front on the steering axel, so I'm leaning tword a flipped 3.9VLSD, with a raised oil level to lube the bearings. Maybe I'll run a synthetic to reduce some drag. The diff in the trans is the real challenge, I know Mudrat's PG is working, but I'm not sure its the best choice for a road car running daily driver kinda mileage. Does anyone know if the front VLSD from the WRX/STI will fit into a Turbo Legacy 3.9 5MT?

Gary

Hey if this for street use and a lot of HP, how about a R200 VLSD? Because of the shorter case I think the weight isn't much more than the R180. They show up on Ebay and sometimes sell kinda cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7980419112&category=33728&sspagename=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7980288306&category=33731&sspagename=WDVW

A decent source of nissan info is http://www.nissanoffroad.net

Oh yeah, and does this project have something to do with a German car?

If so have you seen that 4x4 bug that Davesport used to rally? http://www.davesport.com/rally/images/davebug.jpg

Hey Mike

That R200 would still have to be flipped to work in the front so its the same as the Legacy 160 VLSD, but if the R200 VLSD unit will fit into a truck 200 or 180 front diff it could open up some possibilities.

And yes, this project is a small round german car (I fear my loose lips in PM are catching up with me). I have seen that bug before, as I remember it was rear engine and he used a Porsche or Audi box with a custom pinion shaft and tail housing to drive to the front, I dont recall what he used for a front diff. I think I heard that the car was wrecked and is no longer around, bummer.:(

But my hopeful project is midengine.:brow:

Gary