Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea71 head gasket replacement....

Its in a 79 wagon, is it ok to do with the engine in the car or should i just take it out?

Cheers.

It's ok to do it in the car.There's a triangular flat alignment tool that an older Subaru mechanic would have.Might be able to score one from an older dealership with a little luck.

Anyone ever changed a head gasket WITHOUT removing the motor? There doesn't seem to be enough clearence to remove the head. Can you just unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the motor enough to remove the head? Getting ready to change out one myself so I'm interested in how you would do it...Thanks...

It's ok to do it in the car.There's a triangular flat alignment tool that an older Subaru mechanic would have.Might be able to score one from an older dealership with a little luck.

i have never seen a subaru head gasket changed in the car but then again thats the new ej models but just personaly if i was doing the head gasket on an ea ide probably pull the engine is so simple rather than ************ing around trying to get around the chassie. thats just my opinion

Last gasket I changed I pull the motor out. It took less than 45 minutes and I wasn't rushing. I was just seeing if anybody else had tried...Dennis...

i have never seen a subaru head gasket changed in the car but then again thats the new ej models but just personaly if i was doing the head gasket on an ea ide probably pull the engine is so simple rather than ************ing around trying to get around the chassie. thats just my opinion

Personally, I pull the EA71s. If you don't have the alignment tool, you risk having the gasket blow again. It's easy to pull the engine and do it right. It also saves the paint on the frame rail and your knuckles! Perfect time to adjust the valves!

Todd

If you read the service manual write up on replacing a head gasket on an EA71 motor, it says "Though removing and installing the head with the motor in the vehicle is physically possible, it should not be done because one cannot properly align the head with the engine block and head gasket failure will result."

2 cents

-Mike

If you read the service manual write up on replacing a head gasket on an EA71 motor, it says "Though removing and installing the head with the motor in the vehicle is physically possible, it should not be done because one cannot properly align the head with the engine block and head gasket failure will result."

2 cents

-Mike

Unless you have that triangular alignment tool....:)

But,look,here's the deal....TAKE IT OUT!!!!!:lol:

As stated by myself and Subaru....you CAN do it,to answer your first Q

But don't,and your life will be happier.

Oh,PepBoys-$119 for an engine crane....can't go wrong!!! Mine has probably saved my back and several friendships....:grin:

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

when i did a clutch change i was told i had to take out the engine and trans to do it... something about it not fitting with the rad and such there...

so do you guys also take out the trans when you do it?

can you slide the engine far enough forward to pull it out???