Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Test run!! It's ALIVE!!! PICS!!!!!

Adam N.D.J.

Finally got my drivelines for the Brat today, it was awsome! Had it in double low, first gear, and let it idle up the street, got out, walked around it, and then got back in again!!! Ohh yeah!! Still got some work to do before the trip next weekend, but it's getting there!!! Hope to have pics up before the weekend!

I went with the nissan x-fer case, it was easy, bolted right in. The input shaft that connected it to the nissan tranny had the same slip flange as the rear of the Subaru 5-speed. The case took me about a day to get it in there, it's jes the drivelines that took the time (coming up with the cash was the prob). I've got my wheeling trip next week on the 19th that I'm pushing to get it done for, and it's lookin like I'm gonna have it ready by then!!

So just one more little idea. If your'e running a t-case then I assume the front diff is just spinning? You could maybe just eliminate it all together to reduce the weight and spinning mass of the diff? Alternately you could make a hella PTO set-up. Just switch the tranny to 2wd and only the front output shafts spin. You'd need a disconnect betwean the shafts and the PTO so it wouldn't spin when driving around. Looking forward to those pics. Hmmm. Theres a few Nissans in the paper cheap,,,Hmmm

yeah, I'm currently working on a setup that would use the front diff in the tranny as a PTO for an air compressor. I've got a 2 cylinder york compressor to hook to it. The hard part is machining a pully out of an axle cup, then there will be a belt from that to the compressor. I'll have 5 speeds at which to run the compressor. Man, I hate not haveing pictures to show, it's almost like making up stuff in a chat room without something to back up your claims.

Adam,

After a visit to the junkyard I'm guessing it's a T100L divorced case from a 83-86. If so did you keep the whole length of shaft betwean the tranny and t-case or did you shorten up a bit? Are you running into a flipped R180 up front? Headed for double cases in the future? I see at least one site that claims to have a twin case adapter coming for the T100L. So I guess if youv'e gone this far then the next step might be going to 4.44 ratios from a forester. You could get up near 90:1 when it's all said and done. Then flip both diffs again and add portage hubs and get an additional 2X. Last but not least theres supposed to be a R200 center chuck with 4.9 gearing which you could slide into some z-car R200 diff cases. Good cheap transportation,,,LOL. Nice work BTW. That t-case is a cool bit of genius you found.

Can't take the credit for the T-case, as Lumpy and Mudrat had theirs in before I did, I was there when Mud's went in, so I scoped how to do it. I kept the stock Nissan input shaft, Lumpy had one custom made and stuck with the stock length of the front driveshaft.

You don't have to do any flipping of the diff, you jes take a stock one, and jes put it in the front (provided you have enough clearence under the tranny first).

I'm not sure if I'm going to go much lower than 3.90's, with the ER27, I have more than enough power to turn everything, actually, one of my structural tests was to burn off the rear end, and it didn't take much effort to get the one rear 30 spinning (I only have one axle in the rear right now), good news is that everything held up, not a single crack in any of the welds or anything (shouldn't be, there my welds). :D I might end up going with a larger diff if I can modify the axles to work, I'll see if I break any stubs or anything next weekend.

Oh yeah, I'll be home pretty much all day tomarrow, not doing anything till late in the evening.