Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wild Country Radial XTX - $100 / 4 used... should I?

outback_97

Hey off-road folks!

There's a guy somewhat local to me selling some tires / rims for $100:

I have a set of 4 nearly new tires (around 90% tread left) already mounted to factory Cherokee rims for 100.00. They are Wild Country Radials and are a 215/75/15 size which is just a touch bigger than the factory size.

I'm interested in tires only, of course, but figured maybe I could sell the rims to some Jeep owner for a few bucks.

Any feedback on these? I think they're sold through Les Schab tire, I might stop by one of those to look at the tires since this guy is a good 40 minute drive away. Sounds like a really good deal if they're ok.

Pretty sure they'd fit my stock OB, which has 205/70/15. I'd be losing 5% gearing and speedometer. I'm looking to make my OB more off-pavement worthy, and my 4 or 5 year old Michelins are starting to get a bit tired, plus they have developed cuts from rocks and gravel roads as lately I've been using the car more for what I actually bought it for: camping trips and forays out into the boonies. But, reality check: It's the daily driver, and most all of the miles are going to be around the boring paved suburbs. Also, it has to get me through the snow to the ski resort.

When I searched the only mention I saw of these was not very positive... but I only found one comment, it was for a different size and maybe different tire... not sure. Here's the quote:

#5 Cooper AT 26/8.50/14 (mine were a Les Scwhab copy called Wild Country AT)

Off road * On road **** Tread life **** Price**

Off road should be limited to dry surfaces, stay away from sharp rocks, the sidewalls are weak. Do OK in snow, but are useless in mud.

Overall quiet and smooth on road ride.

Will give you the appearance of being an "offroader" because they are taller than the 13's your Soob came with. (Zapar)

Hmmm...

EDIT: FWIW, called Les Schwab tire and the LT's (as opposed to P's) were $485 for four, mounted, balanced, stems, tax, etc. out the door. I'm assuming what we're dealing with here are LT's, but I guess I'll have to verify w/ the guy selling them.

Steve

post-765-136027601785_thumb.jpg

When I searched the only mention I saw of these was not very positive... but I only found one comment, it was for a different size and maybe different tire... not sure. [/QOUTE]

those are diferent tires than the one that is in the tire write up....if they are in good shape i would go ahead and buy them

That's good to hear, thanks!

Well, I looked at the ones at Les Schwab, and they looked real good. I'm pretty tempted by this, hope they fit! Feeling around the stock tire it seems like I've got room for the extra 10 mm (or actually 5 mm on each side) width-wise, and diameter is only <2" bigger than stock. So they should fit.

The kid at the tire store (I know, I know) said the 16" ones on his mom's v8 Grand Cherokee are great in the snow.

Seller is going to verify that they're the LT ones.

Steve

Still haven't bought them yet, but I may go check them out tonight. Found a few reviews of these, mostly on trucks (of course) but they seemed pretty positive. Found some specs, the LT ones weigh around 4# more per tire than the P's, 30# vs. 26#'s, IIRC. I think they are ultimately made by Goodyear, but it's hard to track down who makes what for whom.

I am awaiting the guy's response as to whether they're LT's and what the DOT date code is (that tells one when they're made). Even though the tread depth is good, if they're real old tires and have been sitting around a long time I'll probably pass.

Steve

So, I finally got an email back from this guy. He confirmed they're LT tires but can't find the DOT # :rolleyes: I emailed him back with more instructions and a link.

He sends me one back; the DOT # ends in 0403, which is great... fourth week of 2003, plenty new for my purposes. But, he goes on to say that they're LT 235/75/15 tires. WTH? Complete waste of my time. Very glad I didn't drive an hour to look at tires that wouldn't even come close to fitting. People are strange animals.

So, the search for tires will continue.

Steve