Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Outback H6 Sedan: Yes or No

Have the chace to buy an 02 H6 Outback sedan which I believe has VDC for $19K. Car is very clean with 15K miles. Does this deal sound too good to be true? :cornfuzz: It is located at my local Honda dealer (was on my way to getting the 03 Accord Coupe EX for $22K )

How are these cars? BTW I have a 98 OBW with 120Kmiles which I am very happy with but I cant see spending > $30K for a new H6 Outback. Any advice appreciated.

Farid

P.S Love the Smilies on this forum:banana:

I haven't had it long. There is a 'trip report' thread here somewhere if you can find it.

hard to say what to watch out for even as I have had no major or even moderate problem - hasn't been back to the dealer and if I take it back I'll have 3-4 minor things to discuss.

I like driving it more and more and of course I have high expectations for it. Due to the AT , the torque curve, and normal fuel injection response lag, you won't be launching outta the hole with it, but on the highway its a great medium sized cruiser with a lot of speed/passing reserve.

We wanted a wagon with some cargo room because of doing a handful of hobby related shows a year, I wanted the AWD for the general safety/utility (snow/ice is rare but troublesome in N. Texas) and the possibilty of going offroad 1-2 times every 1-2 years (rockhounding).

Complainst about the design are minor so far. Cupholder position causes you elbow to get onto drinks. The computer seems very sensitive to minor issues but I mostly have that under control now. I use mid-grade gas though the one tank of regular never knocked or caused any problems. The sightlines were a little odd but I now am comfortable with my mirrors and visibility. I moved the rearview as high as I could but my wife always wants to swing the pass. visor down and it hits if I have the mirror up high. Just little quirks. Look for the OBW trip report and maybe some otehr folks will respond too. my overall score so far? say - B+

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

• 2 weeks later...

I got the LL Bean wagon brand new. It is a good car, but it goes through brakes like a bitch! I have 30,000 miles on the car now and have replaced the front brake pads TWICE and the rears once. I've been told that at my next service, I will need new front brake pads AGAIN!!

As for the used VDC Sedan, it sounds like a good deal! VDC usually goes about $2000-$3000 more than an LLBean, so given depreciation etc, you seem to be saving $2000 or so!

However, I personally always found Outback Sedans to look kind of ugly and unfinished like they were more of an afterthought (that rear end is UUUUUgly!). To each his own though...

• 10 months later...

I just bought an 02 LL Bean for about 16K, but it had higher miles. So far, great car (3 weeks). The same dealer has an 03 VDC with 19K listed for 22K, so yours seems like a pretty good deal (blue book around here is around 23K). I had mine checked out with an ex-subaru head mechanic, who does all the work on my 91 Legacy. He said it was clean, and cheap.

I'd check yours out thoroughly. Pay someone to go over it. I paid about $100 bucks, and they went over it with a fine tooth comb, and also did a compression check. A cheap insurance policy I thought

Patrick

Have the chace to buy an 02 H6 Outback sedan which I believe has VDC for $19K. Car is very clean with 15K miles. Does this deal sound too good to be true? :cornfuzz: It is located at my local Honda dealer (was on my way to getting the 03 Accord Coupe EX for $22K )

How are these cars? BTW I have a 98 OBW with 120Kmiles which I am very happy with but I cant see spending > $30K for a new H6 Outback. Any advice appreciated.

Farid

P.S Love the Smilies on this forum:banana: