Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru powered lambo, a lambaroo? -actual build NOW, with pics....

subarubrat

That pisses me off. Anything I do is open and shared for everyone, other than my lack of time to post it on my site. What does someone have to loose by sharing a wiring diagram or mechanism unless they are making a product or at the upper end of compeditive racing. I am familiar with the LINK ecu, I installed one for a freind a few years back and it works well. If I may ask, why are you looking at using the mega system? Although a good system it doesn't come close to the LINK. Have you cooked up any maps for it yet? I am also considering using the Xede unit, but no firm decisions yet.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pisses me off. Anything I do is open and shared for everyone, other than my lack of time to post it on my site. What does someone have to loose by sharing a wiring diagram or mechanism unless they are making a product or at the upper end of compeditive racing. I am familiar with the LINK ecu, I installed one for a freind a few years back and it works well. If I may ask, why are you looking at using the mega system? Although a good system it doesn't come close to the LINK. Have you cooked up any maps for it yet? I am also considering using the Xede unit, but no firm decisions yet.

$$$ about $300 for MSnS and about $1200 for the Link. A freind has given me a map to get started with. Looking now for a wideband meter. The new MS version 3 board shows a lot of promise but MS is not plug-n-play. There needs more work on the EJxx series engines. If someone would write code for Subaru's uneven six tooth wheel things would be a lot easer. More suby fans need to bug them at the MS site then maybe someone there will help us out. I know nothing about the Xede system. Many of these after market ECU's require a tuner and some dyno work with dollars i don't have.

Like I said if you want the 4EAT info PM me your email. I see they are letting me to post attachments if there is some interest I will start a new thread.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Bush inside the window sticker on all the other cars...can't do bumper stickers. But my views on the flag would probably surprise you. I am just as opposed to the pinheads who use it as an offensive symbol as I am to the pinheads who want to ban or control it. Every culture has a troubled heritage of some sort. So to those who would seek to censor and villify that image, they have something equally troubled in their heritage yet would never accept the same intrusion they commit. I fly the American flag with all 50 stars on it, I don't see how someone could find pride in the rebel flag. Lee, Jeff Davis, PGT Beuregard, these guys weren't romantic scamps who led some political party, they were treasonists and traitors who should have been hung for their crimes of bringing war upon their own nation. That is my stance. But I am nearly equally offended by the cultural facists who want to dictate to me what I can or cannot display and who further try to suggest I automaticly hold an entire pantheon of views because of a graphic on a car. To me the extent of the thing is that it was and still is a cool car from a TV show that I enjoyed as a kid, no different than Mad Max's interceptor or the Landmaster from Damnation Alley. Nothing more and nothing less. I refuse to cower out and leave the top blank to placate those who want a nice santized PC world.

And I know your just poking, this was not directed at you. I know your a guy who would hear another fellow out.

Also that pic is a Photoshop by a friends wife, Mine would be the only one unless someone copies me, that car in the pic does not exist.

"imagine the looks you'd get in that thing?"

Oh yeah, thumbs up, thumbs down, people laughing, waving with just one finger, it is all fine with me. The way I see it if I can P.O. both ends of the spectrum and give the reasonable folks in the middle a cheap laugh, then I have met my destiny. AND IT WILL HAVE THE HORN!!!

land2.JPG

Yeah, Dean Jefferies kicks rump roast.

If you paint your car like that be ready.

I don't get it though. you build a kit car, something 90% of the population can't do. Then you power it with a Subaru turbocharged engine. Take another 5% out of the equation that could duplicate it.

You are building something that only 5% of the population has the where-with-all to build. Pretty impressive in my book.

That's not enough of a gawk factor. You throw in a measure of political debate.

So when you do get to talking to anyone that happens to see the car the conversation won't be about how cool the car is, how did you do that or this with all the appropriate pointing and gushing, it will be about the controversial paint job. It will be an arguement at the Quicky Mart about how closed minded you are. About what a Racist you are to believe and support the confederate battle flag.

Now don't go off on me, I understand you views and what you are trying to get across with putting a cool homage to the Duke boys on such a wonderful creation, but you are going to get into the same arguement, get the same sneers and jeers, everytime you drive the thing.

Eventually the attitude you get because of your paint choice is going to color your thoughts about driving the car. Having to explain why all the time. Not talk about the car and what it took to make it. Just why you put that paint scheme on it.

Seems like a waste of good engineering to me. Put the paint scheme on a toyota or something.

Leave the Lambaru to bask in it's own engineering glow. Don't let it be overshadowed by a paint scheme.

BUT, it's not my car. I would jeer you more about the Bush sticker than the paint job anyway.:)

Jay

I have a Bush inside the window sticker on all the other cars...can't do bumper stickers. But my views on the flag would probably surprise you. I am just as opposed to the pinheads who use it as an offensive symbol as I am to the pinheads who want to ban or control it. Every culture has a troubled heritage of some sort. So to those who would seek to censor and villify that image, they have something equally troubled in their heritage yet would never accept the same intrusion they commit. I fly the American flag with all 50 stars on it, I don't see how someone could find pride in the rebel flag. Lee, Jeff Davis, PGT Beuregard, these guys weren't romantic scamps who led some political party, they were treasonists and traitors who should have been hung for their crimes of bringing war upon their own nation. That is my stance. But I am nearly equally offended by the cultural facists who want to dictate to me what I can or cannot display and who further try to suggest I automaticly hold an entire pantheon of views because of a graphic on a car. To me the extent of the thing is that it was and still is a cool car from a TV show that I enjoyed as a kid, no different than Mad Max's interceptor or the Landmaster from Damnation Alley. Nothing more and nothing less. I refuse to cower out and leave the top blank to placate those who want a nice santized PC world.

*clap clap clap clap clap*

I may not agree with a lot of your views, but this is DEAD ON.

Oh, and that Subaghini is pretty sweet too :) .

I remember seeing photos of a Nissan 240SX drift car that was painted with the Dukes of Hazzard scheme - the best part was the name "The General Li."

i know someone with a paddle shifter for his turbocharged XT6. i have spoke with him some. he speaks little about the paddleshifter or turbocharged XT6. he did mention he controls duty solenoid C to vary his AWD characteristics and helped me some when i spliced into the duty solenoid C wiring to *lock* and *unlock* the transfer clutches on the 4EAT. he's included the paddleshifter capability with this controller. he doesn't share much technical information, he tests concepts for a company. he is also building his own car. by this i mean he is actually fabricating the entire frame and everything himself. he sent me info and a website showing his plans to be able to make parts from a home foundry. i was surprised to know this was even possible i've heard of some awesome projects, some on this group being the neatest, but this guy is over the top. he plans on being done in 5 years i think. he doesn't document, post pictures or share details which would certainly be interesting to see.

as for the paint job...AWESOME! the irony is that we had this discussion this week at work before i even saw this thread. it was regarding the state flags that have the confederate flag on them. i'm of the same views subarubrat just noted. why do people put me in a box with 150 year old views just because i say i don't care that the flag is on there and that people shouldn't politicize something that is only relevant to the extremists today? i didn't even think about politics or being offended when i saw the picture.....i was wondering if he would eventually weld the doors shut, turn on waylon and jump dirt mounds.

<off topic>

concerning the rebel flag and it's display.

this is something i wrote on another forum a few months ago

Ok, i am from northern VA. I own a rebel flag. I am not racist in the least. why do i own a rebel flag do you ask? simple:

the majority of the people who fought on the side of the confederacy were poor volunteers who were defending their homes from the invading army of the more industrialized north. all these people wanted to do was raise some crops, smoke some tobacco, make some moonshine and have a good time. My family had been in virginia since the 1600s... and the cherokee that are among my ancestors had been in virginia since the beginning of recorded history.

my ancestors marched under that flag to defend their homes. most of them were simple farmers... not plantation owners.

to me, the rebel flag is a symbol of how important your home is... and how necessary it is to defend it against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

i stopped displaying my rebel flag because of prejudiced, biggoted, ignorant people who think that just because i own a piece of cloth with a certain pattern on it, that i must be a member of the KKK.

</off topic>

in any case, i think a general lee lambo would be awesome.

Ladies and Gent's I gotta give a standing ovation for this smooth discussion! (insert applause).... in the time i spent out there among the 18-wheeelers I truely felt my brain melt for a majority of the time.....which is Very sad and painful! Reason? Its called any adjective or adverb or even verb you want to *iron on* to a fellow hguman driving a vehicle(or big truck) they *are hard workling folks* and unfortunately i rare ran across anything exibiting intelligence close to the level on this thread....

(thumbs up) for : "01" (tangent)i too grew up on Catherine Bach (/tangent)

(thumbs up X2) : self expression on multipul levels of thought by your handy work!

(salute) it'd be an honor to meet alot of the folks on the board IRL.

(gently bows out)

(side note) I'm kinda partial to the coon tail on the top of a K40 CB antenna

you know you may want to put in a set of "landing lights along the driveway" and a tailhook for the aresting cable at the mouth of the driveway too....

:-p

speaking of aerodynamics, on a slightly more sincere note: What are the odds you'd thought of "skinning" the entire belly of this beast? You ever thought of seeing how much friction/turbulance reduction can help out a car like that? Or any other kit/highly mod'ed car.? I mean it's one thing to make an airdam that goes all the way to the tranny's pan and cut out just enough to allow the front suspention to flex and move - not to forget the full turn to turn of the tires as well... but what do you think? Too dangerous? Not enough airflow to the engine? Then dusct the fresh air to the engine from the sides of the skin.... oh wait.....

what are the odd's that was "preachin' to the choir?"

I myself don't have the background for that design work. However, my lovely wife happens to be a rocket scientist by way of Aeronautical Engineering and was at the top of her class at Embry Riddle. Where concept needs to be transfered to numbers and back again she can handle that much better than I.

About the cost of joining the Subaru half shafts to the Corvette hubs, do yo have an idea of the cost or difficulty? Also, do you know how long the subaru tranmission is after the Saker Cars kit to remove the rear drive is installed? Either the distance from the half shaft or from the end where it bolts to the engine? Always eager to hear how progress goes. thanks

"First question is: what needs to be done to remove the AWD section of the tranmission? I am interested in using a late model Subaru engine in a 914 or x 1/9 in a Rwd only setup."

The Subaru tranny can be modified, saker cars in Austrailia makes a kit to remove the rear output of the tranny and make it a transaxle. However the engine MUST be ahead of the wheels due to the rotation of the shafts. If I recall correctly the engine is behind the wheels on a 914. Adapting a 914 tranny to a Subaru EJ or EG or even EA series engine is a very simple affair in terms of it fitting. However a 300~600HP STI engine is going to make scrap metal out of a stock 914 tranny. Your going to need a tranny built for that HP.

In the case of the Lambo the engine is ahead of the rear wheels meaning I can use any Subaru tranny that I want as long as it can take the HP. All I have to do is fab up mounts from the frame and bolt it in. The hard (expensive) part is having a shafts made up to mate to the Subaru output and the Corvette hubs.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

so what car is the kit based off? fierro?Are you going to put high end leather in it?Are you tring to build a replica lambo or just something that looks like a lambo,doesnt ride right,doesnt handle right,doesnt just seem right.If thats the case please by all means disrepect a lambo by painting in "dukes of hazard" style and putting a coon tail on a CB radio.while your at it put a spoiler on the front with a couple of lights under it aka cannonball run.