Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Upgraded air

Autozone sells a 3" adapter plate with four bolt holes in it now that works great for hooking up one of those cone air filters.

I used a hammer and chisel to get the plate with the four nuts welded to it out of my OEM air box. Then I had to shave the whole inside of it down about 1/16th so that the 3" adapter would slide into it. Once I did that I had to drill 4 new hole to line up with the suby spacing. It took about an hour, but it was worth it. :)

100_0672.JPG

Now, it may just me thinking it's better, but it sure feels like I have a bit more power now. Seems to accelerate just a teensy bit better now.

Oh Yeah, did I mention that I took a pipe and cleaned out the inside of the cat? I have video of the junk blowing out of the cat here.

You know...all I had to do was buy a MAF adapter for a early 90's nissan sentra. I simply unscrewed the bolts off the airbox and it popped right off, and attached the plate. The nuts are welded, but you can get to the bolts from the other side and they should screw right out. I'm surprised you had to use a brute force method.

Cool support wire, tho :)

I didn't have to chisel it to get it apart. I just didn't have any nuts to put on the plastic adapter plate I bought. The little plate inside the OEM box that had the four nuts was held on by two very small welds that I knocked off with the chisel and hammer. This left me a plate with 4 nuts in the stock positions and slightly to small hole for the adapter plate to fit thru. I just enlarged the hole a bit and away I went. :)

The wire was the easiest way I could think to keep it from flopping around in there. :)

Oh Yeah, did I mention that I took a pipe and cleaned out the inside of the cat? I have video of the junk blowing out of the cat...

Once upon a time, used catcons were considered extremely toxic waste, and it was recommended that under no circumstance you breathe any dust from a physically damaged catcon. Something to think about...

Once upon a time, used catcons were considered extremely toxic waste, and it was recommended that under no circumstance you breathe any dust from a physically damaged catcon. Something to think about...

Could be why I have been sick for this past week now. :)

I developed a sinus infection that very night.

Hi Tin!

I have a question about your 92 wagon.. I have been looking for struts for my 86 wagon ,,, but their so costly . I knowticed you are using RX struts. can I fit those under my Subee without modification?

thanks , Dave

I used the front struts and they seemed tighter then my old wagon struts. The rear RX struts where definitly shorter then my wagon struts so I didn't use them.