Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4" Suspension Lift on an OBS?!?!

Andyjo

So in my quest to lift my baby a little more, i've come up with some options:

-Throwing in some Forester/Outback Struts (~2")

-Poping in some Scorpion Lift Springs (~2")

Now, either one of these alone wouldn't really destroy the wheel bearings / CV's... but if both were added (the forester lift springs).... would bad things start to happen?

heh.. and just for kicks, throw in the 2" body lift on top of that... that'd be one mean, top heavy OBS....

Thoughts?

i dont think the suspension will go that far. it might, but so far i have had no luck with the ouybac struts and scorpion springs on my legacy..... part of the problem for me is fitment, i need to "modify" a few things for the rears to fit, but, when i get everything figured out, i'll let ya know...

So in my quest to lift my baby a little more, i've come up with some options:

-Throwing in some Forester/Outback Struts (~2")

-Poping in some Scorpion Lift Springs (~2")

Now, either one of these alone wouldn't really destroy the wheel bearings / CV's... but if both were added (the forester lift springs).... would bad things start to happen?

heh.. and just for kicks, throw in the 2" body lift on top of that... that'd be one mean, top heavy OBS....

Thoughts?

I'm not so sure you want the scorpion springs too. I have the outback springs to go with the struts, and it's pretty stiff. I gained 4 inches of lift.

If the scorpion springs are taller than those, I'd say they'd have to be too stiff.

Highrise Subaru makes lifts for them. I've considered one. I'd think that a lift, even 2 inches, on top of the struts and springs would make it pretty tall.

142the_two-med.jpg

142impside-med.jpg

Is there a difference between Legacy and Outback springs then? What I have gathered from the other threads here is that there is not, but I may be wrong. I know there is a difference in struts, and later this year I am planning on putting OB struts on my 98 Legacy L, I just wanted to know if I should change springs as well. I was debating going to the scorpion springs, but for now I think I will just go with the struts (and possibly OB springs), and some 27 x 8.5 x 14 BFGs.

Legacy springs and strutcaps fit right on Outback struts. I just finished putting outback struts in a 95 legacy brighton. The suspension doesn't squash down much when you take the car off a jack, so I'd be hesitant to put 2" bigger springs in. Seems like the car would have no flex, and you'd be maxing out the struts all the time. Putting just the outback struts does enough to be able to fit larger tires, and it is a noticeable difference. You can actually see the ground on the other side of the car!

• 2 weeks later...

update....... i finally installed my struts, and realized ist a good thing that i didnt use the scorpion springs with it.... if i had, it would be like using 2x4's for suspension... with just the struts it put my rear diff clearance at just barely under 9 inches, there should be enought room to now install the 27's ive had hanging around for the last week, and it rides quite a bit stiffer now, and im still on stock legacy springs....... i'll update again when i get the tires on.....

• 3 weeks later...

i finally got the tires on..... so now im running outback struts, and 27" m/t's.... my rear diff clearance is now just over 10"....... the rear caster is off quite a bit.. im gonna have to fix that problem soon...... im also thinking of trying springs too.... start working on the rear end this weekend..... i'll update when im done....

• 3 weeks later...
do you guys know how big of tires you can fit with the 2" lift? 215/75r15?

thanks

I think you might be able to. without a lift i fit some 215/60R16's on my impreza.. soo.. maybe..

i also have a set of tires the same size as yours, but they deff. won't fit w/o a lift...

my forester struts are in the mail though.. so i'll let you know if i can fit them on there with those...