Ultimate Subaru Message Board

justy's questions

might be able to get one , not sure if it is a 4sp or a/t or even 4wd , are they pretty good cars, ? wife did not want to stop and look, been sitting in same spot for a few months , any thing to look for ? bad axles, timing bets, oil leaks, ?

They are good little cars. Great on gas, and simple to park. The valve cover gasket leaks as if it was designed to, but a bit of Red RTV will fix that. Do avoid the AT unless you are willing to put a 5-speed in when it Dies. They make very good run-abouts, but you feel every bump in the road.

I had one when I was in high school, that I bought new. It was a super little car. I wish I had kept it. I think it got like 45 mpg, and it would do 100 mph :) . It did really well in the snow in 4wd too. I wouldn't want to haul my family around in one for fear of being clobbered, but I wouldn't mind driving one around myself.

The one I have was pretty fun before the headgasket blew. Kind of a pain to service, as engine and tranny need to come out as a unit to do much of anything, and that requires removal of the front suspension's crossmember. This would be OK if I had a garage instead of a strip of crushed rock. :-\

It was lots of fun around town, but I had my reservations about wanting to run it on the freeway. Made a great soccer-mobile, except for hauling-half -of-the-team-with-me moments.

Someone else had a thread that included a link to an article about Subaru hotrodding the Justy engine for a land-speed record. It might be fun to pull 120hp out of it...

The one I have was pretty fun before the headgasket blew. Kind of a pain to service, as engine and tranny need to come out as a unit to do much of anything, and that requires removal of the front suspension's crossmember. This would be OK if I had a garage instead of a strip of crushed rock. :-\

I've pulled the engine on my justy at least 4 times, it was never bad for me. I have timed it to where the engine is up and out of the car and on the workbenck start to finish in less than an hour. Its like working on a go-kart. Everything is lightweight and easy to bolt on and off. The only thing I find to be a hassle it taking off the manifold while leaving the engine/head in the car.

WATCH OUT for the oil pump on these poor things. if the lower end of the engine doesnt make any noise consider it a blessing. Whether its running strong or not REPLACE THE OIL PUMP BEFORE ITS TOO LATE. once the timing cover goes bad, thats the end of it for that motor.

Anyway, I love my justy to pieces. Its the best around-town zippy little car I have ever owned, and it will smoke the pants off of a metro.

-Mike

ok, like i said pretty rusty , but good interior , yes i did notice the top of the motor leaking oil , drive axles look good, also very dirty , owner says it needs a brake line , i would say it has been sitting 1-2 years , if i remember 100,000mi ,it is a 5sp no 4wd

i have a 1994 subaru justy that was just given to the family from a deceased relative. Both headlights are very dull. they appear white when you look at them but they throw no light. moisture sometimes builds up inside the lens but they still used to throw adequate light even with the moisture. now both lights went dull at the same time sometime after i washed the motor. i have cleaned the ground strap next to the left headlight and i have cleaned all engine ground straps that i could find and the battery ground. i did not dialectric grease so i coated them with vaseline to prevent them from caroting in the future. where is the headlight ground on the justy and is there any relays or connections that could be causing this? also when i look inside the headlights when the bulbs are out, the headlight bucket appears gray, is that normal? or are they supposed to be chrome? it seems odd that both lights got dull at the same time that is why im leaning away from the headlight buckets being the problem.:banghead: