Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea71 To Ej20

subzero

Might be tight between those frame rails.... stage 1 or stage 2 body? And what will you do for a tranny? Not gonna use the old one - won't handle the power. Best to use the AWD EJ tranny. Axles will have to be custom, as they will need the EJ inner joint, and probably need shortening. Lots of wireing to figure out, and shift linkage etc. BIG job, but certainly possible.

GD

General Disorder,

I'll be honest with you I already have that EJ 20 Turbo Quad Cam 32Valves (at least the seller claim it has 32Valve)

Computer box and wiring still intact so is the gear box wiring.

I have started the engine twice and engaged the transmission and let it running for 15 - 20 minutes each time

First 10 minutes the engines is rough but it get smoother afterwards.

So I guess basically the crucial wiring part would not worry me so much.

It just that I hesitate to start removing the EA71 to put the EJ20T. People who earlier promised to help me with the project back out thinking of the mass its going to be.

You said that is it possible...? yea

O.K .... I'll be brave.

The transmisson (tranny) is the part that hooks up to the engine, and trasfers power to the wheels - you know - its the part you shift? Anyway, in your case, you have an EA71 transmission, which has a comletely different bell housing than an EJ20. There's NO way to put that engine in your car using the EA71 transmission. And if there were, it wouldn't handle the horse power of the EJ20 anyway, so it's no good trying to use it. You need an EJ20 transmission - maybe you already have one? Anyway - yeah, the swap can be done, but you will be fabricating a lot of parts for the job I would guess. Axles are going to be a major issue, as the hubs need the EA style axle, and the transmission needs the EJ style. So they need to be cut and welded together from the axles of the respective cars (and balanced too). once you figure out the mechanical side of things, the electrical stuff can be worked out. This is not a direct swap - expect to be welding / cutting / moving all kinds of stuff around to make it work.

GD