Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock PSI on GL-10 Turbo Wagon?

PandaRedTrueno

Howdy. Names Cody, I'm from Texarkana, anyway I drive an 86 Corolla GTS (ae86) so I feel I lil outta place but I need you guys help. I recently decided to turbo charge the poweless 4age so I would have that lil extra power when I need it. So I went to a local scrap yard and managed to pull a Turbo off of an 86 or 87 (cant remember which) GL-10 Wagon Turbo AWD. My question is, what PSI does the wastegate release at? or rather what PSI did those cars run bone stock? I can't find it anywhere online nor in you tech section. The turbo is in perfect condition, no bent fins no shaft play at all. I just need to know what kinda boost its making, cause I'm installing on stock internals and don't really wanna get over 7 PSI. One more question.. what size is this Turbo? Like whats the numbers/letters that represents the model? Sorry I'm not really all that turbo smart, I'm still learning. So I ask the subaru gods, can you help me out here?

the turbo in my rx runs at 8psi.

hey, got any pics of the trueno? i always thought that was a cool looking car, i guess im partial to old school japanese cars. i still love my impreza though.

do you have any other mods done to it yet?

peace

tim

yeah I have a few pics, she needs alot of work still but a friend of mine is taking auto body at a local college here and is gunna do all the body work and maybe paint it too for the cost of materials. So hopefully soon she'l be more pretty. I still love her like she is though. Although I miust say I'v always had 2 dream cars, this is one and the other is an Imprezza WRX, just cant afford it, can barely afford putting this one back together lol. The white one is my friends SR5.

119327018_l.jpg

119327213_l.jpg

alright so the wastegate is set for 8psi? or 7psi? on the GL-10.

The wastegate opens at a pressure between 59 to 69 kPa (0.6 to 0.7 kg/cm2, 9 to 10psi), according to my factory service manual. *Reference* Page 90, Section 2-7....Fuel Injection System.

The turbo itself is a VF7 model.

doesnt look too bad at all.

as for the turbo, im pretty sure that its set to run at 8psi, thats what mine has done with both engines ive had in the car. in theory, it should boost a bit more with simple mods, but as far as ive seen personally, in more than just my car, the stocker runs 8psi normally.

I've tested stock wastegates on the VF7 (VF2?) off the car with a regulated air supply and got 7psi at lift off (first movement). The boost control on the '87 and later EA82T will run the pressure up to 9-10psi at times.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

yup, theys the same thing, as well as i think vf4 and vf2, or someting like that.

both of the engines i had in my rx had a vf4 turbo bolted to em when i got em. from what ive been told, its pretty much the same turbo.

um, they're IHI RHB5s, not VF7s. unless that's the same thing?

stock boost is supposed to be about 7-7.5 psi.