Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idle Issues, stalling, need help

i have a '90 loyale 5-speed pushbutton with 220,000mi. if the weather is colder than 50 the car usually won't stall, but will still idle poorly. starting it in the morning under these conditions will get an idle at about 2200 rpm. at lights it will dip to 200 or 300 then pop up into the teens, fall back again. it is more likely to stall if the engine is not fully warmed up. i have redone the timing (the previous owner had done some strange things to keep it running) and that should be close to right if not 100% perfect, changed plugs, wires, oil every 3000, new fuel filter, can't think of anything else off the top of my head. when the weather is warm and betties are out and about stalling at the light elicits a good deal of laughter. it gets even better when i restart it and don't rev it properly eliciting yet another stall. my favorite. i love the car despite it being a bit of a pain in the rump roast. help, please. i have looked at some threads that seemed related but those are all on late model rides and i didn't see exactly what i thought i needed. appreciate it