Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback Wagon 4 cyl auto problems

So like an idiot I drained my atf thinking it was the oil. After the car would not shift I figured out what I did. Note I did not drive the car after draining all the atf as it wouldnt go anywhere. So I then fill up the Auto tranny fluid with correct type and all is well. Now tho I have a atf leak that I can not see where it's coming from. My ? is it possible I might have caused something to come loose trying to shift w/no fluid in there ? Next week Im going to take it into the shop when I get a loaner vehicle. Right now its sitting in my garage but with all the good info on this board I figured I would ask around.

Thanks

If you haven't overfilled it, you shouldn't have caused a leak by doing what you did.

Just an FYI. To properly check the fluid level, the trans needs to be brought up to normal operating temp. Park the car on a level surface, slowly move the gear selector from Park to 1, and then back to Park. Leave the car running, and then check the fluid level of the transmission.

Check the drain plug and washer.

Sometimes spilling ATF is unavoidable filling through that tiny dipstick tube. I spilled some on my wife's car and it managed to coat a bunch of stuff and kept "leaking" for a week until I got tired and just sprayed engine degreaser all over it and hosed it down.