Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to outer cv boot replacement?

I was under the car doing some nut and bolt inspection ( after timing belt replace) and I noticed grease all over the inside of the wheel.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a small 2 inch rip in the outer cv boot.

Since I know it is new I think I should just replace the boot and not the entire cv .

Is this possible without removing the entire Drive axle, and can you just buy a boot to replace the ripped one?

:-\

Available from PEP Boys or your local chain. It is slit down one side for easy install, then you close the slit with screw fasteners. I had to repair a front boot during a trip recently, and this kit made it a ton easier than having to pull the axle. The Quikboot will last a long time, it's well made. Just inspect it every now and then. I recommend cleaning the joint itself very very thoroughly with carb cleaner or gunk, letting it dry overnight, then repacking the joint and installing the boot the next day. Good luck.

Oh, make sure you get the right size boot; there are many. Have him look up the right part number for your car. 4wd/turbo is a bigger boot than non-turbo, etc.

No need to pull the axle, or the joint off. Put an oil pan or old towel under the joint area, and spray away with the degreaser. Be thorough. The cleanliness of the joint is the most important thing. Using a soft toothbrush in there helps too. Do not use a compressed air hose...it can damage the wheel bearings by blowing out their grease.

One other thing: The metal clamp rings for the boots are a little finicky. I found that using one fat zip tie is much easier, and you get a more snug closure of the boots. Dont use the skinny zip ties unless you double them up.