Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 Door Coupe windshield....

so....since we've got 3 RX's in Atlanta...all with damaged WS's....and only one of them is good enough to pass a state inspection...I figure its time to see about getting some....

so what do you guys recommend...? Mine is so bad you CANNOT drive it at all...so, id have to have someone come out to install...got a quote online, and it was $150 for jsut the glass..about $240 for glass+molding (what modling is this?!?!) and it was $306 installed on site....

any of you guys have any recommendations?

yeah unless your molding is fubar'd you can reuse it...when i first had the red coupe i got a new windsheild installed for $135.

call around local shops...most places will give you the "insurance" qoutes installed, but keep trying other shops and let them know your paying out of pocket

Check with a few glass shops, prices can vary a lot. I just got my '87 3-door ws replaced for $165 (re-using old molding which is just the plastic trim around the outside) at Low Priced Glass in Sparks, NV. I also had a quote from another place for $290.

I don't know if you have any "Low Priced Glass" shops in GA, but around here they are lower than anyone else.

Also be sure that the shop has the correct ws in stock before they start the job. Glass shops here (including Low Price Glass) tried to tell me that 3-door ws was the same as gl/loyale wagons and sedans. Its not. 3 door / RX ws is different. If I remember right, ws was #530 which I think may be some kind of industry "standard" number for a 3-door ws.

Correct, the 3dr has a unique ws. The molding is also different. It has the cupped edges that are supposed to aid in keeping the water from the ws out of the side windows. The other models do not have this type.

I just priced a windshield replacement for a wagon, and it was $235 at shop, another $100 if the molding was too deteriorated to be reusable. Thanks for the tip about saying it will be out-of-pocket; I hadn't thought about that.

BTW, I was there to price replacement for an XT rear quarter window. It was $230!!!

order the windshield and install yourself.

Just call around to the glass places in town, and find some of the urethane they use. Someone will be helpful and sell it to you.

I called around to plenty of places when i needed to put the windshield back in the rally car after i did the cage, anyways. everyone wanted like 150 bucks to just install a windshield...i had the windshield sitting beside the car, all they needed to do was lay a bead of the urethane and then plop the windshield in.

Long story short....i found someone who sold me 2 tubes of the urethane, and some of the little rubbers to space the windshield up from the bottom. All cost me $40 cdn. They were also very helpful by telling me how to cut the urethane tube for best application, and exactly how to do things.

After doing it...it's very DIY.

ok....so....how do i properly remove a busted one (thats still very intact...just all cracked up in like 1090759872563409 places) and prep it for a new one....? and all those other tihngs you learned...?

a couple of notes for you nuts

3door coupes have a longer windshield, about 3 inches

rx is same as 3doors

piano wire and 2 screw drivers, 2 people and 20 minutes

windshield out, if i need to explain what to do with the wire

your screwed anyway and should have it installed for you

go buy some urethane caulk, napa sells it, or buy the urethane cord,

autozone/advance auto, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY CLEAN THE GUTTER

WHERE THE OLD SEAL WAS, WIPE WITH ALCOHOL, SAND AWAY RUST,

PRIME IT, DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO, TO MAKE A SMOOTH CLEAN SURFACE

FOR THE NEW GASKET, put the new seal in the cleaned up gutter

install new glass, or junkyard glass, if junkyard clean the hell out of it too,

and be nice and easy, press from the center of the glass, both people, and kind of jiggle it, this sets the seal, dont press near edges, it will crack, put some masking tape top and bottom, leave a window cracked, sont slam a door for 2 days,

i have swaped dozens of WS, and have never had a problem