Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy Wagon...

1992UAV

I'm new to this site Someone over at the Legacy central forum said to come here with some lift questions...Anyone got any ideas on how to lift a 92 leggy wagon... I want to go with some 28" tires... I heard you can use outback struts, And i will cut the fenders out if I have to, but does anyone make a lift that will lift this beast? Just throwing this outhere to see if I am the only one with this idea... Thanks

BC

i just finished putting in outback struts, and im going to tell you that you dont need the sprigns.... my wagon is a 90, and it was really close just getting the struts in... it also stiffened up the ride considerably.......so i would just go with the struts, not the springs.... i gained about two inches or so, havent measured ground clearance yet...

How about some pics when you get it done. I'm about to de-pneumotic my suspension and have been toying with the Outback Strut method. I have standard legacy springs already, but the question is which struts to use.

I bought KYBs for an Outback. Springs were used from same. Probably got 3-4 inches in the front, definitely 4 in the back.

And do the Outback strut tops fit on a 90-94 Legacy with no hammerology?

Offroadsubaruguy, did you have any alignment issues with the Outback struts on your early Legacy? You mentioned that the Outback springs stiffened up the ride. If I used Outback struts and tops with stock 92' Legacy springs, how much lift do you recon I'd get? I'm only looking for 1.5" or so lift. I just want it to sit at the same height it does now with the air struts "up" and yet I want the ride plush so my GF doesn't gripe about the pot holes.

i didnt use the springs, just the struts, and no the strut tops will not fit without some drilling or widening of the holes that already exist...... i just used stock springs and outback struts.... alignment, i havent had it looked at yet, but its off at least a little. the rears were a definate pain to get in, barely fit, had to undo the sway bar to get em in, but the fronts were cake....... using the stock springs it will still be "soft" when you need it to be, but it wont be all the time....

dziuggyimpreza outback? can some one give me years of models thanks

i'm pretty sure they are all talking about the outback sport... which is the impreza wagon just with an outback feel and look... so ya impreza outback...

i believe around the 96-98 models??? around there... i don't really know why i'm posting... i don't really know much...:rolleyes:

Ok I am going to order new struts... Start with that and see where it gets me... Anyone know the years and model of Outback I need or are they all pretty much the same... I got a 92 AWD Legacy(So I am guessing I can reuse the springs)... Need to know what WILL work...I will get some before and after shots... Also anyone knows who makes some aftermarket steel rims for the 5 lug wheel pattern we got on the subies? I guess I will go with the KYB Struts as they are cheaper than the Monroes, my wife gets them for cost with a 10% mark up which isn't bad...oh well someone hook me up with an answer please

Thanks to you guys pioneering the way. I bet there will be a lot of early Legacys getting "outbacked". So just to clarify, we're talking Legacy Outback struts not Impreza Outback Sport struts correct? (Or are they the same thing perhaps with different spring for the lighter Impreza?)

As for the plain steel wheels, for cheap new ones I'd try Les Shwaab tire stores. The used to sell plain black steelys for winter tires and also those white or black wagon wheels.

But Zap used regular outback struts in an Impreza? If the struts fit in the strut mount... then they should work! besides the mounting it to the knuckle.... i want to get a job at subaru so i can play w/ all the parts, and write up what can be done.... I know the forester parts go in impreza thing... but more options would be cool :brow:

Now what should be really tested out is Baja parts....