Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Originally posted by Forester_Ranger

I will be getting all new custom built bumpers and brush gaurds built soon for my 98 Forester by John (mudrat79) in Eugene, Or. Once that happens either John or I will have some pictures to post.

Hey F_R,

Two quick questions:

1. How much were you quoted for the custom bumpers and brush gaurds? Just curious so I can get a loose idea of what it might run me. :)

2. Your 2-inch lift. Is that the Scorpion kit?

Thanks,

Mark

Somebody here on the forum posted a link to an Australian company that made all sorts of products for late model Subarus, including brush guards and 'roo bars of various types, lift kits, etc. Sorry, can't remember the exact post or the name of the company. Could be cheaper than having one fabricated.

I have only seen a few factory push bars ever....and what good are those? Plastic? Push Bar? That's going to look good the first time something touches it.

I want a real bar....like SubaXtreme offers.

Why doesn't someone bend some and sell them?

Mudrat, you listening?

Glenn

82 Hatch, transforming....:temper: ---Yes Mudrat it's a Bandit!

01 Forester, jealous:madder:

I haven't seen any Foresters or Outbacks in Oregon with real brush gaurds either. Only pictures of Aussie ones on the internet. I'm still working out the design I want John(mudrat79) to make me. And he is still waiting on equipment to make them before he can start on mine. I'm not sure how much he will be charging me but it will be much cheaper than ordering one from Australlia.

Originally posted by camosuba

Try these guys Subaxtreme this is my bar

they have airbag compatable bars

What do you need to do to make a bumper air bag compatible? Is this really important when putting custom bumpers on? I'm wondering what the effects will be to my Air bag when I get my custom made bumpers.

Originally posted by camosuba

i'm not sure of the exact difference although i'm sure we have higher impact trigger speeds than you guys over there but there is some difference in the mounting set up you could email Subaxtreme and ask them :-)

I'd be more worried about what the extra weight does to your handling, and what effect the extended approach angle has on off-roading. Granted, the Forester has pretty respectable approach/departure angles, but the ones on the Legacy OBW just flat out suck, and putting a bar on the front would make it even worse, I would think

Hey All.....I am around, just Super Busy......

I've only recently started sandbagging this Part of the USMB...:)

As Forester Ranger said..I am in the Process of Opening a Shop, and What I am going to Specialize in is the Bulding of New Gen Subaru Off-Road Equipment....

Bumpers, A-Bars, Skid Paltes, Rear Swingaway tire carriers, Roof-Racks and Such.....

Part of the Problem I will Run into is Test Beds for building the First few of Each New Design.....

F.R. has a 98 Forester,

I built a Custom 2 inch lift for his car, and Can Build another set anytime for the Newer Subi's Now.....:) this Lift not only gives ground Lift Clearance, but also gives more room at the Strut For Larger than Stock tires......So ou get the best of 2 Worlds.....Driving his Forester, I feel it has a better ride and Off road Feel now......He can Vouche for that if he Wants......:)

I wil be Building him Bumpers and Other stuff, and With his Car as A test Bed, I can Build some Nice Forester Accessories...:banana:

As I build, I will take pics and Post......

I am Also just moving into a New Home, and Shop Will soon be relocated to same Location as Home....:headbang:

So if you can, Be patient....I will Hopefully before the End of October have Some Cool Pics for you al to drool Over......:brow:

If any of you would Like to Chat Directly , you can call me at

541-729-8490

Later for now, Sorry for the Long Post........John in Eugene, Oregon.....

Originally posted by kgb4187

Mudrat- will you make anything for the first gen Legacy wagons? Thanks :-)

I think he is willing to make bumpers for any Subaru. He just needs someone willing to offer there first gen legacy to test fit the first one on. After that he will have the necassary measurments and knowledge of what needs to be done for future first gen legacy's.

Originally posted by Martinjmpr

I'd be more worried about what the extra weight does to your handling, and what effect the extended approach angle has on off-roading. Granted, the Forester has pretty respectable approach/departure angles, but the ones on the Legacy OBW just flat out suck, and putting a bar on the front would make it even worse, I would think

Yeah the extra wieght concerns me as well. especially since I think he will be building them from Steel. The Aussie ones are aluminum so they probably aren't too much heavier than stock. I know the Forester has better approach/departure angle over the outback that is why I chose it over the outback. I've chewed up my stock bumpers pretty bad off-roading and need stronger bumpers with better approach/departure angles which I know can be achieved with custom bumpers. we're planning on increasing the departure/approach angles and they will be much more smaller and stronger than the stock bumpers. because they will be so small I don't think they will be that much heavier and adversely affect the handling. My gas mileage will probably diminish somewhat after losing the aerodymics of the stock bumper. As far as putting a push bar on the front. I would like to keep it real close and rap it all the way under behind the oil pan and bolt on a heavy duty skid plate for protection. If you put a push bar over the top of a stock bumper you're diffinitly not helping the approach angle.

The real problem here is not the bars or approach angles. These really don't mean anything because of the lack of low end gears.:mad:

Lifting it so you can have larger tires will just aggrivate the problem.:madder: :madder: :madder:

Anything you do to a Forester or Outback is cosmetic because the vehicle is incapable of any real off-roading. (dirt roads are fine)

It is unfortunate that the Subarus of today are not the Subarus of yesterday:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Subaru apparently sells a D/R tranny for the Foresters in AZ but not the US.:argue:

This ain't right!

Go to your window right now and shout "I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Sorry after reading this old post again, I just couldn't take it.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, 4sp D/R!

01 Forester 5sp No/R!:madder:

There is so much cool stuff, vehicle wise, that is not available in the US. Pretty sure this is primarily due to the stranglehold that our domestic auto makers have on Congress. :mad:

Probably nothing you can do about it, but it's too bad that things like the Toyota Troop Carriers (FJ-75 series), Nissan Patrol, and other great vehicles are simply not available here b/c it would be too expensive for the manufacturers to bring them up to US safety and emission standards (not that I've ever heard of massive deaths caused by people riding in Euro-spec vehicles that don't have the same safety features as US vehicles...).

Plus, even if they DID bring them to the US, they would then face stiff competition from domestic manufacturers who would enjoy a significant "home field advantage." I believe this is why Subaru won't offer the d/r vehicles here. They are not trying to sell vehicles to "off roaders" (their advertising to the contrary notwithstanding), they are trying to sell vehicles to suburban commuters and soccer moms, for whom a d/r tranny would be a waste of money.

Sux, but there it is. :banghead:

Oh, and don't even get me started on the fact that everywhere else in the world you can get an SUV with a 2.5l Turbo Diesel that runs forever and gets great mileage. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: