Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idle problems 84 brat/FIXED

Hi Guys, (See up date below as this first post was via son on phone)

My son is having problems with his Idle on his 84, Carberated Brat.

He says if he can get it to 3rd it will run fine but when he slows to a stop it will shudder and die also very rough running in 2nd with no power. It has been running fine, just all of a sudden this happened.

I will look at it tonight but always like giving you guys a shot at it first so when I get home from work it will give me a map so too speak of things to check.

Thanks in advance and will give update later tonight.

O.K., this is what I have found out now that I am home.

Starts up fine... idels at a nice easy speed, about 1,100 rpm...I believe.

I put my foot on the accelerator and it shutters and wants to die...

I have to kind of tap the accelerator and build the speed up so not running very good once I try to accelerate.

EA-81 motor, Carberated (non-Turbo) all original.

I took dist. off, cleaned (very dirty) it and rotor, pulled two plugs, looked good, wires old and all & should be replaced but later on that. Shot carb cleaner down carb, It is running smoother but still when ever I push on the accelerator....it shudders and wants to die.. so problem still exists.

Your thoughts..

Never had a cat go on me, but those are the symptons.

Check the entire exhaust system for dents. Check the inlet for any clogs (air filter). I put converter into the search and got these results. Also, check you have a cat converter.:)

- by MorganM

Backpressure test at an exhuast shop can tell you if the cat is clogged. Real cheap and easy way to fix these cats if they get clogged

- by Baccaruda

also try disconnecting the catalytic converter and...

You're idle also seems very high. I believe the manual lists 800rpm for the auto and 600rpm for the manual.

Never had a cat go on me, but those are the symptons.

Check the entire exhaust system for dents. Check the inlet for any clogs (air filter). I put converter into the search and got these results. Also, check you have a cat converter.:)

You're idle also seems very high. I believe the manual lists 800rpm for the auto and 600rpm for the manual.

Thanks for all the replys. All good info I can put into my Sube book.

Final results: O.K., after spraying inside carb it kind of ran better, came back and sprayed bunch more after engine got nice and warm and let it sit for an hour, took back out and drove, all better! Must have been garbage in the carb! I got engine hot again and sprayed tons more... figure littles fine-tons will be better. I will let it sit over night and son can have it back in the morning.

As for the idle .. at 1100, to high.. I will bring it down a bit to the 600 rpm range, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks to all those posts... everyone was right cause this little rue does need it all and just trying to get it to last a month more. Cleaning the carb, wires, rotor, cap etc.. all helped. I would suspect the Cat is getting there too, lots to do when this goes up on ramps in a month for re-work.

Again, thanks to all, what an excellent site and great little cars!

No worries. I'm just a guesspert, but there are some really knowledgable Subaru people on the board. It's a great resource.

You might want to change the fuel filter(s) if you haven't already to stop it from recuring...