Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*Need Advice: Speaker Removal* Updated with pics!

I already did a search but came up blank. I need advice on removing my driver's side front speaker from my dash. This is on an EA81. I got the fuse box off as well as the bottom screw that holds the speaker in but I can't seem to find anything else that holds the speaker in place. Any help you can give would be life saving! I can get pics if necessary.

I hate to break it to you, but you almost need to take out the entire dash. The passenger side is do-able but I don't know how to do the driver's side. I did both of the front speakers on the Brat when Turbone and I replaced the dash. My suggestion is to forget the dash speakers (they are tiny, 2 inches or less anyway) and mount new speakers in the front, lower portion of the doors and run new wires to them. Good luck with it.

I will check tonight for details, but I replaced the dash speakers on my 1987 Brat with Pioneer 3.5"'s way back in 1994. They have started to crap out, so I am due to replace them again - have purchased Infinity Kappa 3.5" for the dash and 4" for the doors. I have a 4 channel amp etc. also to install - all purchased, but just waiting for time. However, the right dash (passenger side) speaker is a 4 X 6, I believe and mounted East to West behind the A/C grill - the speaker is something like:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5NGKXeThVDs/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51400&I=130TSA4670

I used a Plexiglas plate and cut out a hole to fit my 3.5" Pioneers. The drivers side is an odd sized speaker, mounted North to South towards the lower left dash portion. It is behind a plastic grill that can be popped out with a very thin screwdriver or sturdy clip. The speaker is screwed into an aluminum or steel adapter plate with two screws securing the top of the plate to the inner dash and one screw securing the bottom of the assembly. In order to remove this speaker, just pop out the grill and undo the 3 screws, then remove the speaker assembly out. I cut the aliminum plate ends, mounted them to a piece of Plexiglas, attached the 3.5" Pioneer and screwed the plate assembly back into the inner dash with the original 3 screws.

I am assuming that your wagon arrangement is similar to the 1987 Brat's.

Regards,

aba4430

The plastic cover/grill needs to come off. Be careful, these break easily. The clips are top and bottom. Once you have it off theres screws top and bottom for the speaker. It can be a pain to get the speaker out, so take your time.

For those who haven't seen the difference between the stock EA81 front speakers here they are. The passenger's side is 4x6" and the driver's side is a 3x5.5". Contrary to popular opinion, I found the driver's side much easier to remove.

18IMG_1505-med.jpg

The speaker in the center is the one that is replacing the factory units. It is a 10cm Pioneer 80W peak, 20W RMS speaker. Obviously this new speaker will not bolt in to the factory locations. Time for custom brackets!

18IMG_1506-med.jpg

Thes are the brackets I made for the passenger's side. Brackets installed:

18IMG_1508-med.jpg

Speaker installed in the factory location:

18IMG_1509-med.jpg

I should have the driver's side fabbed up tomorrow night.

Cool, way to go.

For those who haven't seen the difference between the stock EA81 front speakers here they are. The passenger's side is 4x6" and the driver's side is a 3x5.5". Contrary to popular opinion, I found the driver's side much easier to remove.

18IMG_1505-med.jpg

The speaker in the center is the one that is replacing the factory units. It is a 10cm Pioneer 80W peak, 20W RMS speaker. Obviously this new speaker will not bolt in to the factory locations. Time for custom brackets!

18IMG_1506-med.jpg

Thes are the brackets I made for the passenger's side. Brackets installed:

18IMG_1508-med.jpg

Speaker installed in the factory location:

18IMG_1509-med.jpg

I should have the driver's side fabbed up tomorrow night.

Cool!! Those look really nice and will sound even better. You'll like the speakers in the dash rather than in the door. In the dash the speakers will project the sound toward your ears, instead of toward your knees.

And yeah, the drivers side is easier than the passenger side. I almost busted my glove box out of anger when trying to remove my passneger side speaker once.

-Brian

• 7 years later...
Cool!! Those look really nice and will sound even better. You'll like the speakers in the dash rather than in the door. In the dash the speakers will project the sound toward your ears, instead of toward your knees.

And yeah, the drivers side is easier than the passenger side. I almost busted my glove box out of anger when trying to remove my passneger side speaker once.

-Brian

Funny, I still can't get that D*** passenger speaker!

Driver's is a walk in the park! :horse::banghead: