Ultimate Subaru Message Board

diff fluid wont stay in front diff!

In theory this should not happen. I got this 92 Loyale Auto 4x4 and has a leaking front diff. It looks as if the fluid comes out of the dipstick hole after it is driven. I am thinking a side axle seal would make more sence. Anybody had a situation that has caused fluid come out of the dipstick hole?

Guest taprackready

Your correct in thinking it shouldn't come out of the dipstick tube at any time. I wonder if you've checked the fluid level. I'm thinking its been overfilled.

Bill

Check your transmission fluid level. There is a seal between the front diff and the transmission, and when that seal goes bad, the fluids swap places, and the ATF can't lubricate the hypoid gears well enough and it will eat the front diff. So, if your tranny is way full, and smells like 90W gear oil, you have a bad seal, and it would be cheaper to replace that seal now, than replace the seal and the front diff later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hondasucks you hit it right on the money. I was driving back and forth to work and washing it off each time. I used my vacuum pump to extract the fluid down to the exact level. Everything was fine but then my auto tranny was low. So I filled that and then my diff was too full. :banghead:

Any Idea if I can pull the auto trans portion off of the diff and change the seal without removing the diff and axles? I have pulled several of the manual trans from these cars but no auto 4x4.