Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX information needed

Well, I am now the proud owner of the RX :banana:. Your picture is what made my decision. By the time I called my husband to tell him that I really liked the way it looked, he had already decided the same thing. We got it for $450 + tax. It needs a clutch, but that was the only thing (we hope).

suppose you have tropuble finding a clutch listed for an 88 rx, any 85-94 ea82 4wd 5spd clutch will work as they are the same for part time dual range, single range, and full time transmissions. ny 85-95 dl, gl, gl-10 rx, xt, xt6 and loyale. as long as its 4wd 2wd disc wont work

Thanks for the info. I won't be able to pick it up until Monday or Tuesday. the auction place won't release it until the title is changed over, and then they will tow it. I will take some pictures when I go on Monday and get them posted. I can't wait to see it for myself. Brian, I like the new rims. Huge difference from the originals. Are the the same size?

Thanks for the info. I won't be able to pick it up until Monday or Tuesday. the auction place won't release it until the title is changed over, and then they will tow it. I will take some pictures when I go on Monday and get them posted. I can't wait to see it for myself. Brian, I like the new rims. Huge difference from the originals. Are the the same size?

Make sure they 'tow' it on a flat bed

AWD center diffs do not take well to being toweds with 2 down.. you may end up needing a new transmission if its towed like that.. It can only be towed on a dolly if you pull the rear half of the rear driveline.

also towing it on all four wheels will be fine. as long as the wheels are moving at the same speed, or not moving at the same speed. just so long there is no difference between the front or rear axle across the center diff

nice thing about subarus is the rear half of the driveshaft can come apart without the yoke coming away from the tranny and spewing fluid.

Hey! i just came to the realization this is why the driuveshaft is 2 pieces? because there is no up/dpwn/sideways travel in the driveshaft.

subaru is smart.

that's a killer price! it will leave plenty of money left over for the clutch (if you plan on running this car hard, or tuning it, get an XT6 clutch as its pressure plate grips better) and for preventive maintenance on the cooling system. most old subies will enjoy a new radiator at around 150k miles, and the handful of coolant hoses on a subaru engine will experience accelerated wear due to the heat of the turbo. don't worry about it though. (if you know all this already, well, it's the thought that counts :))

Hey. I'll work on it for you if you let me drive it!!! ;) Btw, sorry I haven't been over to see the XT6 in a little while.. Im at the buying parts stage and very broke... Soon though... sooon... then we can RACE! Old Sooby Style. 89 XT6 vs 88 RX!!

That's a deal Eli, and no problem about the XT6. There's a RX clutch on eBay for $145. It's an Exedy. Is that a good deal or a good brand?

Hey. I'll work on it for you if you let me drive it!!! ;) Btw, sorry I haven't been over to see the XT6 in a little while.. Im at the buying parts stage and very broke... Soon though... sooon... then we can RACE! Old Sooby Style. 89 XT6 vs 88 RX!!

Its a good brand, not sure if its a good deal... but sounds like it to me.

My RX could use a clutch... hrm, ebay you say? :brow:

-Brian

It's actually in one of the eBay stores. 17 available, so no worrie s:clap:. $145 + $20 shipping. If you look, let me know what you think, ok?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7977090890&category=33730&sspagename=WD1V

Looks good to me.. I'd see what the RX guys think.. Let me know (call or pm me) if you want to schedule a time for me to come work on it.. Gar isn't going to hire me.. and apparently he sold Japanese Unlimited to someone else. So I'm pretty much always available.. I might be out of town for a couple days this week though. :rolleyes::banghead: :-\ :confused:

you know what i was reading another post in reference to this and suppose the clutch cable needs tightened(wont shift unless the engine is off)

i say this because we picked up a wagon in iowa out of a field, would not shift unless the motor was off. so i looked and saw the clutch cable was loose. i tightene it up and the car towed another car around the farm and then we drove it another 2000 miles on the hot rod power tour. all like the next day.

might i say check out the clutch cqable fittings against the fork befpre hauling it into the shop

I checked the cable.. and it was loose... and I tightened it.. and took it for a drive. It wont really shift into gear unless the motor is off... so it's like... turn it off, shift into reverse.. start it up.. back up... turn it off.. shift into 1st.. start it up... drive down the street.. turn it off.. start it up.. clutch isn't disengaging now... drive it back.. turn it off... the clutch is definately toasted.

Hey Marisa, did you decide about when your getting that clutch?